PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft changes IE8 compatibility mode again

drhowarddrfine
Feb 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
So Microsoft changed their minds again. You now have to opt-in to get IE8 into standards mode:

A year ago Microsoft announced (through A List Apart) that standards compliant websites would be forced to opt into a standards rendering mode in IE8. The uproar from the web standards community was loud and clear: the default should always be render in standards compliancy mode. Microsoft backed down.

So it is with considerably surprise and anger to read that Microsoft have quietly gone back to their original position. The gist of it is if you want to be sure your site renders in standards compliant mode in IE, you have to explicitly opt into it. Otherwise you risk being blacklisted and thrown into IE7 Compatibility mode.

To add to the injury:

And to spite us, last week I noticed that the IE7 Compatibility mode doesn't render pages exactly the same as Internet Explorer 7 itself.

So not only do we have to test a new browser with IE8 (which is now A-Grade according to our Graded browser support), it is looking very likely (if I can confirm the bug) we will have to test IE7 and IE7 Compatibility Mode separately.
Link (http://www.isolani.co.uk/blog/standards/Ie8BlacklistForcingStandardsRenderingOptIn)

Apostropartheid
Feb 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM
This guy has misinterpreted the article when he states that IE8 defaults to IE7 "Standards" mode. I see no reference to this in the IEBlog post. The rest of the article is seemingly correct, though: websites whose users press Compatibility View enough times will be placed on an optional "blacklist", for want of a better expression.

skids234
Feb 15th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Yes, to be clear:

By default, Internet Explorer 8 will render websites in its interpretation of full standards mode, and from initial testing with the release candidate, the v8 rendering engine is a vast improvement on IE7.