PDA

View Full Version : Just a Question on Social networking

Vercix
Feb 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I have a huge idea, and I know for sure I'll need to make use of your job offer section later on, but until then...

I have a domain name and all that good stuff picked out, and can design graphics on my own, as well as simple this and that, but I want to sign up for a free hosting service for now (I'm out a job [thanks economy] as of now) and want to sign up for one that will handle what I throw at it until I can upgrade to a premium account.

The main question I have deals with e-mail limitations. At first, I really didn't think I'd need unlimited e-mail accounts, but I may be wrong. My site is basically going to be another social networking site (like myspace, facebook, etc), and I was wondering how they handled the e-mails you send to one another. Do you receive one email account per account you make with them, or are their personal messages based on a different level? I don't necessarily think this, or else we'd all have an [email protected] inbox somewhere, or am I on the right track? I guess this would apply to forum mail as well, since users send mail through these.

mathiastheok
Feb 5th, 2009, 01:28 PM
If the cost for having that option is negligible, why not have it?

It's nice to have it if you need it.

But from the social networking sites I've been sucked, suckered, coerced, cajoled,conned and crammed into they seem to all use your existing e-mail account.

IMHO, an e-mail address is kind of someones "identity" or "home" on the internet, wanting them to change it means your taking on their current e-mail service provider....so ask yourself are you starting a social networking site or an e-mail service...or both?

oracleguy
Feb 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
But from the social networking sites I've been sucked, suckered, coerced, cajoled,conned and crammed into they seem to all use your existing e-mail account.

IMHO, an e-mail address is kind of someones "identity" or "home" on the internet, wanting them to change it means your taking on their current e-mail service provider....so ask yourself are you starting a social networking site or an e-mail service...or both?

I don't think that is quite what they are asking.

The main question I have deals with e-mail limitations. At first, I really didn't think I'd need unlimited e-mail accounts, but I may be wrong. My site is basically going to be another social networking site (like myspace, facebook, etc), and I was wondering how they handled the e-mails you send to one another. Do you receive one email account per account you make with them, or are their personal messages based on a different level? I don't necessarily think this, or else we'd all have an [email protected] inbox somewhere, or am I on the right track? I guess this would apply to forum mail as well, since users send mail through these.

They don't use email addresses per user. The way they handle sending messages between users is by building their own messaging system. The data is stored in their database, not on an email server. Private messaging on forums (including this one) work the same way.

Vercix
Feb 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
oracleguy had it dead on, but I guess now the question would be... where should I start? I've downloaded a few packages (like phpBB3) to see how their message databases are created, but to no avail. Are they just another php/MySQL interaction, or is it a separate world of coding?

JulieV
Feb 11th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Oracle guy just hit all the buttons right for you my friend. As fro the free hosting that would be tough to find considering you are looking for a big website and the bandwith ans all that. There are some hosting who offer cheap like Hostmonster.com and webpromotionsystems.com. i really don't know exactly what you are looking for.

Thanks
Juliev

oracleguy
Feb 12th, 2009, 01:45 AM
oracleguy had it dead on, but I guess now the question would be... where should I start? I've downloaded a few packages (like phpBB3) to see how their message databases are created, but to no avail. Are they just another php/MySQL interaction, or is it a separate world of coding?

Yes it can be all done in PHP and MySQL if so desired. I don't know much about phpBB but there is probably a messages table in their database used for storing PMs.

Vercix
Feb 12th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Ya I decided to leave that on the table for now, and put money into paid hosting etc, so when I get around to this topic again, I'll probably have to discuss more of the specifics.

Gary Winnick
Feb 13th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Social networking sites have morphed into a mainstream medium for teens and adults. These sites encourage and enable people to exchange information about themselves, share pictures and videos, and use blogs and private messaging to communicate with friends, others who share interests, and sometimes even the world-at-large. And that's why it's important to be aware of the possible pitfalls that come with networking online.