PDA

View Full Version : Coding for IE6?

Keleth
Jan 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I was kind of curious on people's thoughts on this. Most of the sites I currently run are more tech-savy, so less then 10% of hits are from IE6, which for me (an active proponent for using web-standard browsers) gives me the peace of mind to not worry if a site is IE6 complaint or not.

I'm working on a site I hope to market to Universities, and I'm running into a slight dilemma. This means, odds are, I'll be facing more IE6, although at the same time, I know my alma mater (I just graduated a year ago) was on top of upgrading to current IE builds, as well as offering Firefox and Opera. Working on IE6 does pose a few problems. For example, IE6 really doesn't like the 'button' tag, acting strangely with it, as well as a myriad of other issues we all know about.

So now the debate... should I be IE6 compliant? Should I just be W3C compliant? If someone tries to access the site with IE6 or prior, should I just inform people they should come back in a more modern browser? I can't really decide...

Excavator
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM
So now the debate... should I be IE6 compliant? Should I just be W3C compliant? If someone tries to access the site with IE6 or prior, should I just inform people they should come back in a more modern browser? I can't really decide...

Hello Keleth,
It's usually not that hard to get a site to work in IE6. Sure, there are a few well known bugs ... the fixes are just as well known and this forum is a great place to find them.
If you run into problems that are harder to fix, which is very possible, you can decide then if it's worth the effort.

Lately, just this year in fact, for personal sites, I've pretty much stopped worrying about IE6.
Sites that are done for others though, they still need to be working in IE6. Probably for another year or two at least. I've heard claims that IE6 still has at least 25% of the market. My server logs, checked just now, say 12.5% for January.

Keleth
Jan 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Between 5 different sites, I'm getting statistics of anywhere from 6% to 12%, which is why I'm debating...

Its not actually a concern about how hard it is, I'll do the extra work even if it is hard, but as a browser... IE6 sucks... I mean... common, its IE6!

Excavator
Jan 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Between 5 different sites, I'm getting statistics of anywhere from 6% to 12%, which is why I'm debating...

That's funny. I kind of thought 25% was too high - a year old statistic probably.
I can't wait for IE6 to drop out of sight! It's been a pain all along.

jerry62704
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
W3School (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp) reports Dec 08 as IE6 19.6%.
BrowserNews (http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat.htm) reports IE6 at 22%.
W3C (http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php) reports IE6 at 27.26%.

abduraooft
Jan 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I love IE (especially version 6) as it reminds me to write semantic and valid markup and pursue me to read and learn more articles and techniques, which would have missed otherwise. As a web developer, I feel proud to say my pages behave equally in all browsers including IE. (Just a personal thought)

Philip M
Jan 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I love IE (especially version 6) as it reminds me to write semantic and valid markup and pursue me to read and learn more articles and techniques, which would have missed otherwise. As a web developer, I feel proud to say my pages behave equally in all browsers including IE. (Just a personal thought)

Hear, hear! Well said! I continue to use IE6 because a good many of my customers still use it. They are typically middle-aged to elderly gentleman, who are not at all techies or games enthusiasts and have probably never even heard of Firefox, let alone Opera. They use the browser that came with the computer, and probably will not change it until they upgrade the computer.

jerry62704
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
We use IE6 because we are required to by the state (I work for the State of Illinois). Nothing to do with knowledge of FF or anything else. Never assume that it is a choice.

demtron
Jan 29th, 2009, 06:00 AM
iStockPhoto just announced yesterday that they will begin phasing out support for IE6 on their site. So, even a big site like their whose users are techie/designer types will still be supporting IE 6 for at least another year.

drhowarddrfine
Jan 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, proudly announced they are using IE6 in Windows Mobile a few weeks back.