PDA

View Full Version : Automating Updates

expat84
Jan 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am a grad student currently working for an academic publication. Since I'm the only one on the editorial team with any web design experience (and mine is minimal), I was charged with designing the website for the journal. I'm no expert at web design, so the page I came up with, while good looking and basically seamless, is still clunky and not automated. This is a real problem with a site like mine, which requires several different updates every few months.

Basically, the site has issues, articles, about pages, etc., with a list of editors and a publication calendar which is the same on every page, but which changes often. As it is now, one change to the publication calendar requires me to open all ~60 pages and edit the HTML of each individual file to make the changes. Not difficult, just time consuming and hard on the eyes. Right now, it takes me about 3-4 hours to perform an update, which includes updating the calendar and editor list, and adding the new articles. As the journal goes on, however, the number of pages will continue to grow, and within a year it will be too many to manage.

So, I need to automate the site, and soon. I envision a way to have text files in the FTP folder with the HTML pages, which feed information through scripts of some sort into certain parts of the page. That way, when I need to update the calendar, I would just go into the text file for the calendar, make the change, and then the changes would apply across the whole website.

This is probably a really simple issue, but I'm not an expert at web design. I'm pretty sure this would involve some sort of PHP scripting, or perhaps java, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Expat

Neowulf
Jan 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
you must make another html that includes your calendar or whatever and upload it, lets name it myinclude.html

there are 2 ways to do this:

there is the way whit inline frames (ifames), i would not recommend it because if somebody opens a link from the frame it opens in the frame, to solve this problem you must ad <base target="_top"> between the head tags of the page targeted by the link, here is an inline frame example:

<iframe style="width:500px; height:500px;" frameborder=0 allowtransparency=yes scrolling=no src="http://www.yourpage.com/myinclude.html" target="_top"></iframe>

and there is the Server Side Include (SSI) method, it would be the best way but lot of hosts doesnt support SSI, SSI example:

<!--#include virtual="myinclude.html"-->

if myinclude.html is in a folder:

<!--#include virtual="name_of_your_folder/myinclude.html"-->

and now you only have to change the myinclude.html and the calender will change on every of your page that has the iframe or the SSI code.