PDA

View Full Version : Background and building woes!

andymaw
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a reasonably simple website. Having not made one for a long time I'm not really up to speed on all of the modern methods. For eg. I have always used tables which i see now is not so good at all.

I have a background (attached) that I made which I'd like to use. Clearly I could just use it as a bg image but I want it to adjust for different screen resolutions. I would have used a table in the past (in this case it would be a pain as there are so many crossover points and I would have to try and include cells for all of the information I want to actually include on the pages) but is there a better, more efficient way of doing it? Would CSS do it?

I hope I've explained this well enough, and hope you can help
Cheers

gnomeontherun
Jan 16th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Welcome to CF, I hope you find it a wonderful resource.

I'm glad you've come to see tables are bad for layout, and don't worry about not being up on the latest and greatest secrets of design. Its a hectic life to keep track of it all.

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/background.html

Luckily there are some wonderful people on the net who have come up with solutions! This is possibly the best solution, but you might want to make your background image a more standard window dimension. Also notice if you use this method that if you resize the browser, the background becomes morphed. Perhaps an alternative solution (at least with your image) is to have the bottom and left portions of the image fade completely out, and then you can just have the image in the top right corner of the page no matter what the window size.