PDA

View Full Version : Robot Question

whatsupyous
Feb 28th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Ummmm, i dont know exactly how this is done or if it is possible, but is there a way to make your meta tags when the robot searches for your page, to whatever page the person searches for, it redirects it to the homepage?
like if a person searches for something that your page has, but the robot only gives them the page that coincides with it, can you make it so when they want to go to that page, it just sends them to the homepage?

nickoli21
Mar 1st, 2003, 01:03 AM
Most host servers offer what is called HotLink Protection. You could use this to send them to your homepage. Basically how it works is this. When a user types in a direct address (or a robot sends them to that page or they have it bookmarked) the server checks the referring page. If the referring page is not within your domain then it sends them to a page that you designate (such as your homepage).

If your server doesn't have this feature, or you don't want it setup that way, let us know. I haven't done that in a while, but I could look up the actual code to check the refering page and redirect them. It's just normally easier to use the other method.

I hope this helps.

Nick

Nightfire
Mar 1st, 2003, 03:05 AM
http://www.htmlbasix.com/disablehotlinking.shtml

To help you

nickoli21
Mar 1st, 2003, 07:33 AM
Yes Nightfire....once again....my words much simpler.

Nick

meow
Mar 1st, 2003, 08:04 AM
But then googlebot would get the same treatment, no?

whatsupyous
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:27 PM
i dont care about the inmages being stloen or anything of that sort. see, my website is a frames website. i dont want someone linking to like only the menu frame and not the whole entire page, because then they couldnt see the rest of the site, know what im saying? maybe the thing you gave me will do what im asking for, but it seemed like that will only disable people going to images only or trying to steal pictures. i dont care about the images.

Cherubae
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:36 PM
Perhaps something like this in your head tag?

<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript">
<!--
if (parent.location.href == self.location.href) {
if (window.location.replace)
window.location.replace('the frame top url');
else
// causes problems with back button, but works
window.location.href = 'the frame top url';
}
// -->
</SCRIPT>

I've used this on a page that was indexed by a search engine but didn't have the frame navigation section. It pushes the user back to the main frame index, but it doesn't leave them with the frame AND the page they were trying to get to via the serach engine.

- C

nickoli21
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:07 PM
Either of those should work. The only reason we referred to the hotlink protection is because it is very easy to do. Yes, it was meant for protection of pictures and such, but all it really does is send them to the main (index.html, etc) page. The previous code looks like it would achieve the same goal.

Nick