PDA

View Full Version : image display error

TinMan
Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Seems some images have decided to no longer appear on a page i have taken over maintenance of. On the actual web page the thumbnails are not displayed, and the link to the full size image does not function.
I think the gallery these were eventually in, was created using PVII image gallery magic.

If I try to browse to an image location, the following message is displayed in IE7

"Precondition Failed
The precondition on the request for the URL /machinery/p7hg_img_2/thumbs/lm15vs_tmb.jpg evaluated to false.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

I am a little confused as the site was ok several weeks ago.
I know the images are in the correct directory on the server.

Typical url for one image is...
http://www.contractpolishing.co.uk/machinery/p7hg_img_2/thumbs/lm15vs_tmb.jpg

A little guidance would be appreciated.

Excavator
Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hello TinMan,
You must have access to the server... have a look and see what's in http://www.contractpolishing.co.uk/machinery/p7hg_img_2/thumbs/

If lm15vs_tmb.jpg and your other missing thumbs are not there, do a search and see where they are.

Not sure what might have happened to lose them, could be as simple as a hard drive going bad at your hosting company or as sinister as an attack of some sort.

TinMan
Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Excavator,

Thats what is puzzling me, I can see them on the server from Dreamweaver, so know the path exists.
Just double checked by browsing through file manager in cPanel, and I can see the files.
Also I know that originally there were no problems.

Excavator
Dec 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Your server has protection enabled that prevents me from following your link backwards from the .jpg. In otherwords, I can't see what's in the /images directory.

If you can "see" them in DW ... are you sure that's not local? DW would not be my first choice for managing files on my server! I use CuteFTP for that.

As long as it's not local files your looking at then there is a path to get to them on your server. You just need to figure out that path. If they really won't display, it may be time for a call to your host.

TinMan
Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hi

Yes it is definitely the remote files i am looking at.
Viewing through cPanel file manager confirms that they are there.

I will shoot the host a line and see what they say.

Excavator
Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
I'd be interested to find out what it was, assuming they figure it out for you :)

TinMan
Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
They have just come back to me with,

"Mod_security causing problem to images on both accounts, so those rules disabled for your account. "

To think I spent ages today trying to figure out what I had done wrong.

Oh well, all is sorted now.
Thanks for your comments.