PDA

View Full Version : Expert Question (Paypal security)

cincinnatiboy4867
Dec 11th, 2008, 12:49 AM
This is probably a question that many people won't know. Hopefully anyone reading this already knows that you can get to the download page without actually buying it through Paypal. Some sites are secure enough that you are not able to do this.

Theory #1: The download page is generated on the spot for each customer so that the URL cannot be repeated

Theory #2: The 'Page Source' coding is hid from viewers (at least the part where it shows the successful purchase URL

If anyone knows how to secure this sort of thing in anyway I would greatly GREATLY appreciate it.

VIPStephan
Dec 11th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Theory 2 can’t be done so you end up with option 1. However, I’m sure there are other scripts that make downloading something even more secure, for example by sending a uniquely generated download key that can only be used once or something like that (not that I know, I just imagine it could be done this way). But since this is the HTML and CSS forum you’re in the wrong spot to ask server-side questions. Please ask a moderator to move this thread to the correct forum (and please don’t double post).

jhaycutexp
Dec 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM
speaking of paypal button..

how do you open a link of paypal button on a new window? it's a pain cause i don't know how to target_blank"" a <javascript>

the paypal button was encrypted and i kinda need it to pop a new window.. can anyone help??

_Aerospace_Eng_
Dec 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Set the target of the form to _blank. If you aren't using a strict doctype you can do so directly by using target="_blank". If you are using a strict doctype you'll need to use javascript by targetting the form you want and then using .target or .setAttribute()

And don't hijack threads please.

@OP I agree with Stephan. Store the user data in a database along with a randomly generated code that pulls up the download but doesn't reveal the actual link to the download. I use a shopping cart for mp3 files called maian music cart. It does this type of thing. It allows you to set the limit a download link can be viewed or downloaded. He has another version called maian cart that is for other stuff as well.

jhaycutexp
Dec 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM
thanks my problem solved... i love this forum...