PDA

View Full Version : h1 and h2 styling different IE vs FF

dtmfcc
Dec 7th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I had been using multiple h1 tags on my pages, and read that it wasn't so great for SEO, so I decided to use one h1, and just style h2's for subsequent headings. This looks fine in IE 6, but not in Firefox 3.0.1 . The h2's come out black, without their color, seem to be ignoring the CSS. Is there a known issue with this, or a workaround?

Sample page is at
http://www.simi-therapy.com/therapists.html
CSS is at
http://www.simi-therapy.com/simitherapy-screen.css

Page still using multiple h1 tags, and looking correct is at
http://www.simi-therapy.com/questions-about-therapy.html

Any help appreciated. I'm not a pro, just a therapist who likes to tinker.

Deborah

Excavator
Dec 7th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Hello dtmfcc,
These are straight from the validator (see the link about validating in my sig below)

# Error Line 98, Column 19: value of attribute "id" must be a single token.

<h1 id="About the Therapists"><a name="#top"></a><b>Deborah Tucker, M.A.,

This attribute can not take a space-separated list of words as a value, but only one word ("token"). This may also be caused by the use of a space for the value of an attribute which does not permit it.

# Error Line 237, Column 8: ID "cross-browser" already defined.

<h2 id="cross-browser">Receive our newsletter</h2>

An "id" is a unique identifier. Each time this attribute is used in a document it must have a different value. If you are using this attribute as a hook for style sheets it may be more appropriate to use classes (which group elements) than id (which are used to identify exactly one element).

dtmfcc
Dec 7th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Thank you excavator. I had validated these pages some time ago, but clearly have messed it up now. I'll sit down a bit later today to clean this page up, and see if that fixes my problem.

This is what comes of a non-pro using a very nice template, but not understanding all the implication of certain changes, I think.

I'll post back once I get all the errors fixed (19 in all). Unfortunately lots of holiday tasks today.

Thanks again! Deborah

jerry62704
Dec 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
You should not have multiple <h1> tags on one page. If you mean it for different sections on a page, use <h2> or lower. One way to think of it is a page is an outline and there is only one top (<h1>) to it and multiple subsections.

dtmfcc
Dec 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks, I have just recently realized this, although now of course it seems obvious.

demtron
Jan 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I checked the therapists page you mentioned against the w3 validator and it still seems to have issues. Given the number of tag mismatches I see, I think you are setting yourself up for future problems as you maintain this page. I would encourage you to validate the entire site and start with a clean slate prior to any future modifications.

dtmfcc
Jan 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I know, you are absolutely right. Unfortunately, what happens is there are so many more pressing things (seeing clients, meeting with referral sources, all the things about maintaining my practice) that I never seem to get the time to sit down and fix the validation problems. And some of them are the result of a total amateur trying to use CSS but not quite getting certain things. I hope to manage it one of these days.

In the meantime, it's forums like these that help me find answers to the worst of the problems, and I truly do appreciate all the help. I have several CSS and HTML reference books, but the answers I get in forums are where I have learned the most.