PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Code View Different on MAC vs PC?

antiochkid
Oct 19th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I finally figured out my coding problems related to the banner and once fixed it worked perfectly on the MAC. However, when the page was viewed from a PC the artist bio and banner were all mixed in together and scrolling down the full length of the page.

I'm obviously a beginner. Can someone please help!!

Here is the code that I had placed before the bio (it's currently out due to the viewing problem):

<div class="masthead"><span></span</div>

<style type="text/css">table table {margin-top:120px;}
div table table, table table table {margin-top:0;}
</style>

<style>
.masthead {width: 567px; height: 102px; position: absolute; margin-left: 250px; left: 12%; top: 200px; background-image: url(http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo153/rubbaheadmusic/HillOfStoneBannercopy-1.jpg);}
</style>

THIS IS WHAT FOLLOWS THE BIO:

<style>
table, td, tr, span, li, p, div, textarea,
DIV
{
background-color: transparent;
}
body
{
background-image:
url(http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8302/traycard2by3.jpg);
background-repeat: repeat;
background-attachment: fixed;
}

.r{}* MODIFYING THE TABLE**/
table, td
{
background-color: transparent;
border: 0px;
}

table table table
{
background-color:cccccc;
}

table table table
{
border-width:2;
border-color:333333;
border-style: solid;
}

table table table table
{
border:0px;
}
.r{}* Text and Link Properties * */
input
{
background-color:transparent !important;
}

td, span, div, input, a, table td div div font,
body div table tbody tr td font
{
font-size:9 pt;
font-family:Arial MT !important;
}

td, span, div, input, table td div div font,
body div table tbody tr td font
{
color:2b3856 !important;
}

.nametext, .whitetext12, .lightbluetext8, .orangetext15, .blacktext12,
.redtext, .redbtext, .blacktext10
{
color:25383c !important;
}

a
{
color:000000 !important;
text-decoration:none !important;
text-transform:none !important;
font-weight:normal!important;
font-style:normal !important;
}

a:hover
{
color:000000 !important;
text-decoration:none !important;
text-transform:none !important;
font-weight:normal !important;
font-style:normal !important;
}
.r{}* Other Stuff * */
img
{
border:0px;
}

.text
{
align:left;
</style>

I hope someone has an answer for me. Thanks

_Aerospace_Eng_
Oct 19th, 2008, 03:57 AM
What browsers are you testing in? Specify the OS for each browser. Do you have a link to your site? Is this going on a myspace site.

itsallkizza
Oct 19th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Yes, and something looks weird here:

.r{}* MODIFYING THE TABLE**/

Even if that's an incorrectly written comment (or maybe its some escape code I am too noob to recognize), it shouldn't throw your CSS (because it's outside the object definition). Even still, worth a shot.

antiochkid
Oct 19th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Safari on MAC and Explorer on PC. URL is www.myspace.com/laundonvonkendricks

antiochkid
Oct 19th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer and have found most of this code through web searches. I have no idea what the weird code is but will happily remove it. Thanks

antiochkid
Oct 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Aerospace Eng,

I just woke up realizing that I saw your question but didn't. OS is Tiger and Windows XP. My brains sometimes misfires. Sorry about that.

Shredster00
Oct 20th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Here is the code that I had placed before the bio (it's currently out due to the viewing problem):

<div class="masthead"><span></span</div>

<style type="text/css">table table {margin-top:120px;}
div table table, table table table {margin-top:0;}
</style>

<style>
.masthead {width: 567px; height: 102px; position: absolute; margin-left: 250px; left: 12%; top: 200px; background-image: url(http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo153/rubbaheadmusic/HillOfStoneBannercopy-1.jpg);}
</style>

Try replacing the red words with masthead1 instead.

The problem was that you were using the same class "masthead" for another div, so the image was being applied to both divs.
Each browser always displays pages a bit differently, which is why it worked in Safari but not Internet Explorer.

antiochkid
Oct 20th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Try replacing the red words with masthead1 instead.

The problem was that you were using the same class "masthead" for another div, so the image was being applied to both divs.
Each browser always displays pages a bit differently, which is why it worked in Safari but not Internet Explorer.

I need a little clarification. Are you saying that when you went to the page you saw the div class masthead code? If so, that's because I did not remove that portion of the code. Only the part that seemed to be causing the problem.

Having said that, I did go back in and change "masthead" to "masthead1" and still got the same issue. One thing I noticed that I hadn't noticed before is that the repeating banner in XP is actually a file that no longer exists, meaning I changed the banner design, a new file was created and the old one deleted. Is it possible that a footprint has been left somewhere? I tried restarting the computer but it still happens...

Shredster00
Oct 21st, 2008, 01:37 AM
Sorry, that was my mistake. I assumed you already removed all of the code relating to the image.

Well I think I've found the real problem this time.
<div class="masthead1"><span></span></div>

That little red ">" was missing for the closing span tag. Adding it should fix the problem.

*note: you can leave the class name as masthead or masthead1

antiochkid
Oct 21st, 2008, 05:36 AM
Thank you so much shredster00. I could not have gotten that cleaned up without your keen eyes! It's a wrap.