PDA

View Full Version : h1 css image logo's

yanksno1
Oct 10th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I just wanted to get a general idea on what people thought on using h1 tags for company logo's (that are graphics) using css. I've heard reasons for using them and reasons against them. So I'm not really sure what standard practice is regarding using them. What are your thoughts guys?

ubh
Oct 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Ok here is a quick rundown.

Header tags are used to help search engine crawlers to describe and point out a topic or the beginning of paragraphs.
Using them in the proper places results in good SEO (search engine optimization). Using them in the wrong places confuses search engine crawlers and they score against you. To many bad scores against you, and your sites page rank will go down, or a worse case scenario is you get sand boxed from search engines.

Just remember to use them as follows:

<h1>Welcome to my site</h1>
...paragraphs welcome a user to your site est.

<h2>About my site</h2>
...paragraphs about your site est.

<h3>Site News</h3>
...your sites news paragraphs est.

<h3>More Site News</h3>
...more sites news paragraphs est.

Hope this helps some.

Scriptet
Oct 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I use H1 tags to define my page title rather than my site title/logo, I don't have the site title/logo in any sort of header tags.
I don't have any reasons, just I like my page titles to be of the highest importance.

VIPStephan
Oct 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I’ve been going different ways from project to project. One way is to use the h1 as page title where the main title of each page would be the company/site name which I’d replace with a site/company logo through CSS eventually. This way search engines see the site title as text and graphical browsers show the image.

However, if the requirement is that the company logo is printed as well it might be better to include it as actual HTML image since printing of background images is disabled by default in some browsers while actual images will be printed in most of ’em. I wouldn’t put this image in a heading element, though, since this wouldn’t be as semantic. In that case the h1 can be used for each page’s main headline independent of site/company name (since this can also be included through the alt attribute of the image).