View Full Version : Starburst? (Not sure what to call it)

08-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Does anybody have any ideas how you could achieve something like the blue background of this site - http://www.todaysbigthing.com - in Illustrator?

I'm sure you've seen this sort of thing before. Usually it's 360 degrees and sometimes the lines decrease in size as they go outward so it looks like rays of light from the sun.

08-10-2008, 02:26 AM
There's this


Pretty much the dupe of what you pointed to. You could just draw an hourglass, as well. You could make rotated copies. As you alter the original, the copies would change, too. Might be easier.

08-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Many Thanks!

08-10-2008, 09:31 PM
You could follow the tutorial which gives you the idea of a shape.

Then I would use a gradient for the background and the sunbursts I would use an opacity mask to give you the different transparency in the sunburst.

Really easy to do not so easy to explain.

08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
OK, I had a chance to try the tutorial - but i'm in CS3. Are the shortcuts different?

Holding Alt doesn't duplicate the triangle.

Snap To Point doesn't seem to work either (even though it's on).

08-11-2008, 10:01 PM
If you hold your left mouse button down, hold alt and drag it should duplicate whatever you need.

As for the snap to point. It isn't like photoshops snap to point, you have to have the mouse button pressed down drag it slowly to the edge and it should snap to the edge, but also allows you to move easier once snapped.

Yet so is photoshops when you dont use the program all the time.

Hope the duplicate works now.