PDA

View Full Version : How do you disable horiz. scrollbar?

zenweezil
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:25 AM
I'm sure this is an easy code, but I can't find it.

How do you disable the horizontal scrollbar of a browser?

I am mostly interested in internet explorer so if it only works in IE that is OK.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

justame
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:33 AM
zen...
you can just a prevent® it from just a happening® ifin' you keep your 'page width' to the widest of the lowest res...
ummm do you know whats just a causing® it??? aka do you have just a widdde® graphic orrr perhaps your site is in just a table® which is tooo wide in pixels??? orrr your page is in just a framesetup® n' one of the 'frames' contents is tooo wide???

you cannn just a disable® the scrollbars though...both vertical n' horizontal...ifin' ya use just a popup® window n' tell ittts 'properties' ...scrollbars="no"

do ya have just a link® to where its happening??? twould help just a bit® in finding your solution...:O)))

youngScripter
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:40 AM
here's the code for it:

<style type="text/css">

body
{
overflow-x: hidden
}

</style>

top500
Feb 16th, 2003, 07:29 AM
another option (taking above script)

<style type="text/css">

body
{
overflow: auto
}

</style>

this way your visitor has a scroll-bar if the window is
smaller than max. and it works on the fly :-)

brothercake
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:20 AM
But all the same .. first look at what it is that's causing them. Generally, disabling scrollbars is not a good idea, because you make parts of your page inaccessible - and you can't necessarily control how big that part is.

ronaldb66
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:36 AM
I second Brothercake: scroll bars are there for a reason; leave them alone! If your content forces a horizontal scroll bar, it's too wide for the window it's displayed in.

unpunk
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:35 AM
who cares?
I mean....
sometimes if you work with iframes you'll have an unavoidable overflow.

meow
Feb 20th, 2003, 02:33 AM
who cares?
You. When people can't read your pages. :D

brothercake
Feb 20th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by unpunk
who cares?

You, when you visit another site with the same attitude, and discover that *you* can't read it.

ronaldb66
Feb 20th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Who cares? Your visitors, who probably will be so ticked off by your attitude that they'll leave almost instantly. Be that way if you want to, but why bother building a web site in the first place?