PDA

View Full Version : Problem with extra line spaces (divs?)

Peachalicious
Feb 3rd, 2003, 08:58 PM
Hi! Im trying to set up a journal using moveable type, I dont know if anyone is familar with it but anyways.. I published it to my site and there is an extra space between each line. I know using divs can cause that but in some of the cases, there isnt a div involved. Ive tried removing all the divs even and I cant get the lines to run together or anything. Does anyone know what can cause this?
Here is my code:

<MTEntries>
<$MTEntryTrackbackData$>
<br>
<div class="margin"><MTDateHeader>
<div class="title">
<$MTEntryDate format="%x"$>
</div>
</MTDateHeader>
</div>
<br>

<p class="margin">
<b><$MTEntryTitle$></b>
<div class="margin"><$MTEntryBody$></div>
<div class="margin"><div class="tinytext">Posted by <$MTEntryAuthor$> @ <$MTEntryDate format="%X"$> <MTEntryIfAllowComments>
| <a href="<$MTCGIPath$><$MTCommentScript$>?entry_id=<$MTEntryID$>" onclick="OpenComments(this.href); return false">Comments (<$MTEntryCommentCount$>)</a>
</MTEntryIfAllowComments></div></div>
</p>

</MTEntries>

and here is my page so you can see what its doing:

http://beautifuldisaster.net/blog/index.html

BrainJar
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:07 AM
I don't know moveable type but if use "View Source" on your browser you'll see this:

<p class="margin">
<b>boiiiiing!</b>
<div class="margin"><p>booin boing! (springy) :D</p></div>
<div class="margin"><div class="tinytext">Posted by Julie @ 11:42 PM
| <a href="http://www.beautifuldisaster.net/cgi-bin/mt/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=5" onclick="OpenComments(this.href); return false">Comments (5 )</a>

</div></div>

So it looks like a P tag is getting inserted inside of another P tag.

You might try removing some of the formatting you're using. Strip it down to the bare minimum and see what it does, then add tags as needed. Start with something like:

<MTEntries>
<$MTEntryTrackbackData$>
<br>
<div class="margin"><MTDateHeader>
<div class="title">
<$MTEntryDate format="%x"$>
</div>
</MTDateHeader>
</div>
<br>

<b><$MTEntryTitle$></b>
<$MTEntryBody$>
<div class="tinytext">Posted by <$MTEntryAuthor$> @ <$MTEntryDate format="%X"$> <MTEntryIfAllowComments>
| <a href="<$MTCGIPath$><$MTCommentScript$>?entry_id=<$MTEntryID$>" onclick="OpenComments(this.href); return false">Comments (<$MTEntryCommentCount$> )</a>
</MTEntryIfAllowComments></div>

</MTEntries>

Peachalicious
Feb 4th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Thank! I tried what you suggested unfortunately no luck :( Thanks for taking a stab at it though! :)