PDA

View Full Version : Can I Convert a Program Generated Page?

1raindog
Mar 8th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Here is an explanation of what I'm trying to do. I have a jukebox program that generates a web page which shows the name of the artist, song, picture of the CD cover and some links which control the operation of the player. I can also search and cue songs with it. The page is accessed by going to the address of the computer that the jukebox is installed on.

Is it possible to create a new page which can access the information from the original page, so, when listeners access the jukebox, they will see my new, custom made page without the controls that start and stop the player, and they will not be able to access the original page which the jukebox is generating? I still want them to be able to see what song is playing and be able to search the library of songs.

mjlorbet
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:18 AM
it depends on the context of your new page i suppose, if you're going to be hosting it from the same page i don't see why not. also, the easiest way to do this (my opinion) would be to create the new page with just an iframe on it & use javascript to set the display properties on all the elements you don't want shown, pretty straight forward really. The only thing you might run across is the fact that if your jukebox main page is the default on (index.html or some other page being directly accessed by a portal program) you'll actually need to supplant it in the heirarchy of page precidence (eg. modify iis's default page property to show your_new_index.html before index.html, or if you make it an asp page (which would be another easy route, just request the page on the server side & do the messing with it before it actually hits the client) default.asp(x) should precede index.html anyways.... things to consider.

1raindog
Mar 10th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I can't believe I actually got it to work, even though I don't know much about this. Now I need to figure out what to do with the page I made. Do I make a shared network folder on the jukebox computer and put the file there? Thanks a lot.

mjlorbet
Mar 14th, 2008, 05:55 AM
as long as you put the file in the same folder as the original location of the page that's being generated by the jukebox (assuming that that page is actually publicly visible (over the web)) it should be good to go to begin with. if the page isn't publicly visible, you would need IIS or some other server software of your choosing to actually direct an incoming visitor to the page you've made, if you're just looking to do this on a network, just share the location of the two files to your workgroup (although i don't see how that would help you because the viewer could just browse to the location of the auto-generated jukebox page instead of going to your application).