PDA

View Full Version : Automatic font download?

kelemvor
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:47 AM
Is there any way that I can set a web page so that if someone views the page and doesn't have a particular font I used, it can just download it automatically? Or possibly show a box that says THis page uses font Xxxx, click Yes to download the font now?

I thought I've seen that before somewhere but I'm not really sure.

Thanks,
--Mike

joh6nn
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:12 AM
there's no way to automatically download the font. the best you could do would be to set up a box that popped up and said "this site uses the Foobar font. Click ok to download the font, or click cancel to continue without it." of course, that would pop up every time someone visited the site, so you'd have to set up a cookie to keep track of whether or not a visitor has been to the site before.

codefox
Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:39 PM
Not all fonts are automatically downloadable and not all browsers automatically download fonts. There's the Embedded Open Type (EOT) font which can be used in web pages. When a user visits your site, the font could be viewed by him whether he has it installed or not.

To know more about EOT check this link http://525.fims.uwo.ca/~craven/525fon.htm or search for EOT fonts in goole. Also do check the Microsoft's weft page.

joh6nn
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:44 PM
Microsoft's WEFT ( Web Embedding Font Tool, or something like that ) is a piece of carp. i tested it out; i'm glad i made back ups of the pages i was working on, because it turned them into empty files. completely ruined them.

another type of embedded fonts, is PFR, which doesn't work on older browsers or Netscape 6, or Internet Explorer for Macintosh. So, your options for actually embedding fonts, is to use the MS WEFT thingy, which will probably really mess up your site, or to use PFR, which only works on just a couple of browsers.

that's why i said that there's no way to automatically download the fonts; there are ways, it's just that they don't really work.

codefox
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:49 AM
True that weft is crappy. i used it for my site in local language and then gave up :). now i've given a link on the top of the page saying "DOWNLOAD FONT HERE" :D.

beetle
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:53 PM
I third the motion that WEFT == crap. Steaming, even.

It's ridiculous to release such a technology that works so poorly, even for Microsoft.

meow
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:08 AM
Have to trick WEFT and feed it a dummy page IIRC. Then you can use "Add fonts" (I think it's called) and feed it the font files you want to be converted to eot.

Just use the font files. Don't let it chew on your pages. :p