PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this...

ecnarongi
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:23 PM
is there a way to right align the text in a select? I tried the text-align: right; but that didn't seem to be a solution. All help is apperciated. Thanks.

redhead
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:31 PM
it appears not.

ecnarongi
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:02 PM
I will make a hack to get it to work. :D

codamonium
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Have you tried simple positioning the text inside the select
<select style="position:relative; left:10px;">
<option>blah
<option>blah
<option>blah
<option>blah
<option>blah
</select>
just a thought!

Roy Sinclair
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:27 PM
It's a defect in IE's ability to follow CSS, text-align: right; works just fine at the select tag or at the option tag in Mozilla based browsers.

redhead
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Roy Sinclair
It's a defect in IE's ability to follow CSS, text-align: right; works just fine at the select tag or at the option tag in Mozilla based browsers. umm... are you sure? i tested it in k-meleon before i posted that first post and it did exactly the same as ie?... :confused:

Roy Sinclair
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:55 PM
That simply makes k-meleon defective too, it definitely works in Mozilla. Actually it may be CSS compliant for those browsers to ignore those CSS codes since the select object rendering is OS dependant and that independant ability to render the select object may be part of the specs.

The Mozilla authors went to the extra effort of making their own objects so they could control the rendering which also allows them to get past the frequent noted problem of form fields lying on top of other objects (ignoring the z-index settings).

redhead
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:37 PM
oh right, ok thanks for clearing that up.