PDA

View Full Version : I can't get my layout to stay put!

malachias
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Okay, I'm less concerned about getting this to work in IE as I just realized that the whole layout of the site basically explodes if you actually try to view anything but the home page.

But still, what's with firefox being weird?

JohnL
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Whats the site? Do you have a link?

malachias
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM
i'm sorry, for some reason I seem to have overwritten my first post with my second.

http://dreamthi3f.net/

Windows Firefox: layout is fine
Windows IE: layout explodes. Oh well...
Linux Firefox: One absolutely placed div (connecting the menu with the news boxes) moves up about 25 pixels. What?!

Only two divs are placed absolutely, the one that moves irritatingly and the "Dreamthi3f.net" title-box (which stays put). Is there a way to place it relatively without having an 'empty space' where the div was originally?

srule_
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM
It's not firefox it is your poorly written code.

(saw that in somebody's profile it it is very true/funny)

Normally I try to help people, but your site is written so poorly that it will take me a long time to fix.

For example your list is horrible....

you put something like:

<li><u>Monday, June 11, 2007
</u><small> - <b>Malachi
</b></small><br>New challenge in the works. And check out these fresh new designs! =)</li><li><u>Monday, September 25, 2006
</u><small> - <b>Malachi
</b></small><br>OK, I'm back. Finally. You can expect more writings soon. As for artwork, this seems less likely at the moment.</li><li><u>Sunday, August 20, 2006
</u><small> - <b>Malachi
</b></small><br>I fixed the bug that broke the news database every time an entry was added. Finally.</li></ul><a href="?page=news">-see all-</a></div>

list should look like this:

<ul>
<li></li>
<li></li>
</ul>

further more the information that you are showing there is "news" and should not even be in a list to begin with.

When writing XHTML do not do any styling inside the html document (include </br> and empty <p></p> for making white spaces...) You can do all this formatting in CSS.

malachias
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
thanks for your help!

I'm still transitioning between my old layout (which was complete <b>ed and <br>eakfast using tables... have a look at http://dreamthi3f.net/oldwebsite) and the new CSS happy version, and as such I haven't gotten everything straightened out yet.

However, I don't see how that would make the difference: the div that moves around is completely empty. And besides, why should it display differently in the same versions of firefox on different operating systems?

However, I will clean up that area (worry about formatting later, I suppose) and see what that does.

malachias
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I figured out what the problem was, posting it here in case anyone else has this issue:

The problem was the fonts: I did not specify the font size/face for the menu, so the actual height of the menu box would change. Since the connector was placed absolutely, it would stay put regardless of whether the menu box shrank or expanded.
The solution was to place it relatively, and then move anything that was moved by this change up by however many pixels it was pushed down.

Thanks for your help _srule. Although it was not the cause of this particular problem, it is certainly is something that I must fix.