PDA

View Full Version : Is there an accepted best screen setting for the internet?

effpeetee
Aug 11th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Is there an accepted best screen setting for the internet? I always use 1024x768, but is this best choice:confused:
Obviously (at least to me) if I use a generally accepted resolution, I stand a better chance with avoiding positional problems.:thumbsup:

Frank

www.exitfegs.co.uk

CaptainB
Aug 11th, 2007, 11:16 AM
From my statistics I can tell that most of my visitors use 1024x768 (48.83 %), 32.28 % is using 1280x1024 and only 3.15% is using 800x600. So I would concentrate, if it was me, to archieve a design which would look good in 1024x768+ :)

Masterslave
Aug 11th, 2007, 11:23 AM
At my work we always design for 1024x768 (1000px actually, because you have the vertical scrollbar), unless the client wants a different resolution.

effpeetee
Aug 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Yes, that is what I use. 1024x768 - I miss-typed it above.
Wouldn't it be great if the powers that be included a command to automatically switch the receiving display to suit.

(That suggestion should stir the hornet's nest.)

Fearless Frank.

dancrew32
Aug 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM
something like this could be cool. good idea!

<script type="text/javascript">

if (screen.width==640||screen.height==480)
document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="small.css">')

else if (screen.width==800||screen.height==600)
document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="medium.css">')

else if (screen.width==1024||screen.height==768)
document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="large.css">')

else
document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="idontcare.css">')

</script>

I think a php method of doing this would be a lot safer though.. just in case the user doesn't have javascript turned on. Any php coders wanna try this?

croatiankid
Aug 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM
It's best to make a single CSS that will work well on all resolutions. 1024x768 seems to be the most popular (my desktop uses it), although larger resolutions are becoming more popular all the time.

effpeetee
Aug 11th, 2007, 12:26 PM
That seems to be quite difficult to do. I was answering a post here suggesting the use of %ages for positioning and was told that it is not reliable. How does one tackle this problem?:confused:
Is there some technique that I have missed?

I can use CSS superficially, but I find the inconsistances difficult to deal with.

Frank

Masterslave
Aug 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Nice script but I see problems:
- What if someone has open his "History Sidebar"?
- This will not work with sers which have not enabled javascript (off course...)

My opinion is not write css for different screen resolutions.
If you wanna play safe, then use 800x600 website design.
It's now common to focus on the 1024x768 resolutions.

croatiankid
Aug 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM
For "fixed" width sites, put a font size of either 62.5% (1 em will equal 10 px) or 100.01%, then specify font sizes and widths in EM, so when a user increases the font size, the widths specified in EMs will increase as well (keeping proportions). Use PX for widths and heights that you want to keep regardless if the user increases/decreases font size.

Fluid width sites usually have 1 or 2 columns fixed width, and the other either as 'auto' or at a percent (2 columns are fixed if it's a 3 column layout, middle column is fluid).

effpeetee
Aug 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Thank you for the explanation. It is quite clear. But I am not a working programmer, but an 82 year old fogey with his own family site. As I have a lot of time on my hands, and a desire to bring my site up to scratch; I am struggling with the means at hand, (the biggest problem being an old model brain) to professionalise my site.

The second biggest problem is the seeming inconsistentcy of CSS.
I really am grateful for the help and patience of you all. All of the successful parts of my site are to the credit of CodingForums contributors.

You will see that I do not have obvious to me at least, a particular css layout.
The index page for example has a random picture selected using jscript. The two time displays are also jscript. So how would I start making my site "display proof"?

I am mostly concerned with the opening index page. The rest can wait.

(This man's got a cheek!)

www.exitfegs.co.uk

Frank

Jutlander
Aug 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I'm on an IBM Thinkpad (1024 x 768) and my parents have a newer one with much higher resolution. Problem is their pixels are smaller so text and such will be smaller too.