PDA

View Full Version : Notepad as HTML editor?

Kristen
Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:56 AM
During the summer, I volunteer, where a portion of the work I do is updating a web site. However, the office computer has Windows 95 and no HTML editor (with the exception of Frontpage Express, which proceeds to change/add unneccessary and problematic tags to everything upon saving).

There's a good chance I'm mistaken, but I thought Notepad could be used as an HTML editor. Yet when I edited .htm documents in it, they were saved as text documents. As a result, when I uploaded them, it was just source code.

Is there a way to edit in Notepad, save as .htm, and have it upload as such? I would prefer not to download an editor. I appreciate any help and/or suggestions :)

boxer_1
Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:02 AM
Hi Kristen,

To save as an htm / html doc from Notepad you have to click save as and change the save as type to 'All Files'. Then, as long as you've given it an .htm / .html extension when you named it you should be all set ;).

Kristen
Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:12 AM
The first time I did that, it didn't work, but I don't think I changed it to "All Files" in addition to altering the extension to .htm. I just tried it with a web document, though, and all is well :thumbsup: Thanks for the quick response...any response at all, actually. If you only knew the time and energy this saves. If only I'd known sooner :rolleyes:

boxer_1
Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:17 AM
You're welcome Kristen, glad I could help you out :).

jkd
Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:01 AM
Ha! Welcome back to the forums Kristen - knew you couldn't stay away. :D :)

Spookster
Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:33 AM
Or better yet download Notepad+

http://www.mypeecee.org/rogsoft/

Kristen
Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:28 AM
I could stay away until I needed help and felt bad asking you another question in a long line of them, JKD ;) As much as this makes me sound like some cliche infommercial, I don't think there's any site with as many qualified people willing to help for nothing in exchange (although I suppose "thank you's" are appreciated).

Spookster--Thanks. If it were completely up to me, I would download Notepad + or 1st Page, which I've come to love, but space is limited, and they're a bit freakish about freeware (supposedly being monitored by web sites that sell information to outside companies).

Spookster
Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:55 AM
Notepad+ is only 400k in size and doesn't contain any "spyware".

premshree
Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:35 PM
Hi,

I use Notepad to work with my site (http://www.qiksearch.com) but when I save I just do save as-> and then fileName.htm

I don't think there is any need to select 'All Files'.......

Anyways, it hardly matters......

:)

Tonz
Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Spookster
Or better yet download Notepad+

http://www.mypeecee.org/rogsoft/

Spookster

Just downloaded notepad+, really like it...

Obviously very important to read the "readme.txt" file first (which I did)

Good stuff....Many thanx

Tonz

Spookster
Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Tonz

Spookster

Just downloaded notepad+, really like it...

Obviously very important to read the "readme.txt" file first (which I did)

Good stuff....Many thanx

Tonz

No problem. And yes it is a good idea to read the readme.txt first. :thumbsup:

mouse
Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:50 AM
I'm using EditPad Classic at the mo, quality, not as good as Editpad Pro but a nice and genuinely free tool. Postcard-ware no less :D

jkd
Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:07 AM
I still swear by Ultraedit, even if it costs money after 45 days. :)