PDA

View Full Version : css syntax again

jsanchezgoku
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:20 PM
hey guys i tried your suggestions, but it still doesn't work. When I enter the site I see the default blue color with the underline on the links. Its only when I VISIT the specific link, it changes. Take a look @:

http://www.tamiu.edu/cost/son/dnurs.htm

for the css code:
http://www.tamiu.edu/cost/son/style/style.css

thanx guys!:D

boxer_1
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:24 PM
jsanchezgoku, you should have kept this with your original thread by simply adding what you used to create a new thread as a reply to your original thread. That way everyone can follow along with what's been suggested already. It also help to eliminate the confusion of having two threads open for one question. This is covered in the 'Rules' (double posting). Just letting you know ;).

Edit: The original thread: http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1151

jsanchezgoku
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:29 PM
my bad

boxer_1
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:41 PM
You kind of did things in reverse order, you deleted the original with 2 replies and some code. I guess we'll have to continue the discussion in this thread now (which will hopefully not be deleted :D. Anyway, I believe your problem lies with the missing semi-colon here:

<style type="text/css">
a:link {color: #3B28B4; text-decoration: none;}
a:visited {color: #3B28B4; text-decoration: none;}
a:hover {color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: underline; background:#3B28B4}
a:active {color: #3B28B4; text-decoration: none;}
body {scrollbar-base-color: #3B28B4;
scrollbar-face-color: #3B28B4;
scrollbar-track-color: #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-highlight-color: #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-3dlight-color: #3B28B4;
scrollbar-shadow-color: #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #3B28B4;}
.menu {border: 3px solid #3B28B4; text-align:left; font-size: 14}
.box {border: 1px solid #3B28B4; border-width: thin; font-size: 12}
</style>

Try adding the semi-colon after '#3B28B4' and see if that helps ;).

jsanchezgoku
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:48 PM
still doesn't work, but thanx for the missing ';' i didn't see that one...sorry about the thread:eek:

Feyd
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:51 PM
Wait a minute, you are using an external style sheet, but are you still writing <style type blah blah and the closing style tag in the .css file itself?

jsanchezgoku
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:52 PM
ya...is that bad?

boxer_1
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Feyd
Wait a minute, you are using an external style sheet, but are you still writing <style type blah blah and the closing style tag in the .css file itself?

Good catch Feyd, that would cause the problem...I missed the most obvious thing ;). Kinda reminds me of something that happened with a certain someone and the [img] tag when we were testing...lol :D (j/k).

Edit: Yes, try removing the <style>...</style> tags from your external style sheet and see if that helps ;).

applesauce
Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:12 PM
(you only need the semicolon between two descriptions, not at the end)

Try adding the semi-colon after '#3B28B4' and see if that helps .

jsanchezgoku
Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:35 PM
Thanx a lot guys!:D

boxer_1
Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by applesauce
(you only need the semicolon between two descriptions, not at the end)

Not needed, but a good practice IMO. If you add the semi-colon (which is required except for the exception you pointed out) you develop a good habit. Let's say, for example, he later wanted to add a different font-weight to his hover. If he just clicks behind 'background:#3B28B4' adds a space and adds 'font-weight: 700;', he'll have problems. Now probably he'd notice it and add the semi-colon, but it's safer to have added the semi-colon in the first place ;).

applesauce
Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:49 PM
maybe, but it wouldn't have caused an error in his style.