PDA

View Full Version : I made this ccs menu, but is it bloated?

KevinG
Apr 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM
hi everyone, i made this menu using open cube, but it looks bloated to me and i cannot get it standards compliant. Is there an easier way to render such a menu?

www.vidinet.com

KevinG
Apr 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
see online version

KevinG
Apr 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
see online version

KevinG
Apr 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
sorry for that. i have now put a version of the menu on www.vidinet.com

Excavator
Apr 14th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I get a popup that says "Infinite Menus must be purchased for Internet use." Other than that, it looks like a very complicated menu that works in IE7 and FF...
Maybe it needs an older doctype?

To start with though, like the validator says, <style type="text/css"> doesn't belong in the body, it goes within the head tags.

KevinG
Apr 14th, 2007, 05:45 PM
yes i built it with open cube. its just the code seems hugely bloated. i figured there must be a simplier way to accomplish such a menu.

twodayslate
Apr 14th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Validate. 53 warnings.

Nice menu.

KevinG
Apr 15th, 2007, 08:36 AM
thanks twoday. in your opinion, do you think the code is bloated?

twodayslate
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:32 PM
As long as bloated code does not slow the load time down I do not mind.

_Aerospace_Eng_
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:35 PM
It can probably be done a little more efficiently. For that though you would have to get your hands dirty.
http://alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns

KevinG
Apr 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM
right, i spent all morning tweaking this menu - www.vidinet.com

using w3.org the only errors i get are regarding the style links, (which i am confused with).

secondly, does this menu work? is it useable? as the problem i am having is on the mortgage hoverlink - it seems to have trouble showing the sub nav if you move your mouse slowly.

i built this using infinite menus, but i am still concerned this menu is not user friendly.

any feedback appreciated.

KevinG
Apr 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM
ok, it works, but not in ie6 - any ideas anyone? the rollover subnav does not appear at all in ie6

ronaldb66
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Yes, it is bloated: it's riddled with unnecessary wrapper divs, endless repetitions of unnecessary or misplaces classes, incomprehensible class names, inline styles; all typical generator errors. You'll be better of building something yourself; there are some decent resources around. The Suckerfish approach makes it suitable for IE6 as well.

KevinG
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM
ron, i am having a real nightmare with this. i have looked around for similar designs but no luck. is my code fixable for ie6? i do not mind paying someone to fix it.