PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Tool Tips

ptmuldoon
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure if they should be here under javascript, or possibly under php, but....

Is there a way to create a bubble tool tip, that when a link is moused over, the tool tip will display various information obtained from a database?

Basically, I have simple game site, that lists about 20 games per page. I'd like to create a tool tip that when you mouse over each game link, it will provide a bubble tooltip of the current game status. ie, how many players are in the game, who's turn it is, etc.

Is something like possible?

glz
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:49 AM
sure its possible!

the retreiving info part is server side- php
learn about querying info from mysql dbs with php

the bubble part is purely client side-javascript
there are lots of free scripts out there to display bubbles over links that are all javascript search google

so the javascript is pretty much covered you can find a nice script for that on dynamicdrive.com, the php part is what u need to research

hope this helps! i'm not a js guru, but I tried to answer your question to the best of my ability...

CFMaBiSmAd
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:59 AM
glz's reply is right on. The only thing to add would be if you want "live" current status, you would need to incorporate AJAX techniques to let the javascript request the current information from the web server.

antimatter15
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:42 PM
glz's reply is right on. The only thing to add would be if you want "live" current status, you would need to incorporate AJAX techniques to let the javascript request the current information from the web server.
or you could just get the database (if it's reasonably small) from the server during the page's load.

CFMaBiSmAd
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:48 PM
who's turn it isWould require "live" data, at least at the time the tool tip is opened.