PDA

View Full Version : Fixed width of a website

Rmpl
Mar 29th, 2007, 01:20 AM
If a website is going to have a fixed width, how big should it be? I've made a couple websites that are 1024px wide and that seems fine to me. Do you think that's too wide for a fixed width? How many users am I leaving out? It seems to me a balancing act between functionality and inclusion. Any thoughts?

Excavator
Mar 29th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Hello Rmpl,
I'm not sure how many you'd be excluding by using 1024px. Maybe the subject matter would give you an idea - a 1024px wide website for cell phone ringtones might not be a good idea and a 760px wide website about computer graphics would probably be wasting a lot of your target audience screen space.
I build a lot of sites at 760px width and I use that as a min-width for full screen sites.
For sites where I do set a wider fixed width, like your doing with 1024px, I try to put the most important content on the left so the end user doesn't need to scroll over to see it if he's at 800x600.

ArcticFox
Mar 29th, 2007, 06:59 AM
[...] I try to put the most important content on the left so the end user doesn't need to scroll over to see it if he's at 800x600.

Menu left, content center, anything else right.

:thumbsup:

Excavator
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Actually, in that sort of case I was thinking menu on top.