PDA

View Full Version : Definition List and Top Of Page

mysterybks
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I am doing a Definition List http://www.sleuthedit.com/authors.html and I would like to put "Top Of Page" in various places so people can quickly get back up to the Alpha List to pick another Alphabet. Is there a good way to do this? I've tried to change the color of the text, but since it's a dd and dd is defined in my CSS document, it doesn't change it.

Dawn

jlhaslip
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:06 PM
http://jlhaslip.trap17.com/samples/misc/demo/anchors_page.html

Notice the anchor tags in the source code on his page?

mysterybks
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:08 PM
But that only puts the tags at the bottom of the page. I need to put it after most alphabet as they might be halfway down the page and want to quickly get back to the top.

Dawn

jlhaslip
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:10 PM
you already have them at the bottom of all the subsections. Do you need to modify the colour so they are more visible?

mysterybks
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Yes, I'd like to make them red and without an underline. Here's the code I used but that doesn't work:

<dd style="color:red; font-size:small; text-decoration:none"><a href="#list">Back to Top</a></dd>

Dawn

jlhaslip
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:19 PM
CSS

#alphaauthors dd.up a{
text-decoration: none;
color: #ff0000;

HTML

<dd class="up" ><a href="#list">Back to Top</a></dd>

Works for me.

mysterybks
Mar 28th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I tried that, but it didn't work. Sorry it took so long to post, but I couldn't get in for awhile. Something to do with a bandwidth error on this site.

Any other suggestions?

Dawn

mysterybks
Mar 28th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Using the code you gave me, I can get font-size and font-family to change, but it won't change color or text-decoration.

mysterybks
Mar 28th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Well, not it's working right in Foxfire but not IE. Never had that before. Usually it's the other way around. Any ideas?

Dawn

jlhaslip
Mar 28th, 2007, 04:35 AM
#alphaauthors dd.up a, #alphaauthors dd.up a:visited {
text-decoration: none;
color: #ff0000;

}

It tests in IE6, IE7, Op9, NS8, FF2. I forgot to check the :visited state in IE6 previously.
You could also add the rest of the pseudo states, too, but I don't know if it is necessary (in this order: a,a:link, a:visit, a:focus, a:hover, a:active).
Don't forget to add the class all the way up and down the page in each of the links you need to show red.

mysterybks
Mar 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Thank You!!!!