PDA

View Full Version : css coding question

jduprey
Mar 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM
does anybody have the css code for blocking the url of a link from appearing on the bottom left side of the IE window when your mouse hovers over a particular link? i know it can be done but i can't find the code!

thank you - joe

Arbitrator
Mar 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM
The area where the URL appears and to which you refer to is called the status bar. You canít alter the status bar using CSS; youíll have to use JavaScript instead.

Disabling the status bar text is something that I would call an accessibility issue and something that I would avoid since itís helpful to the user to know where a hyperlink leads to in advance.

Also note that some browsers, such as Firefox and Opera, also allow their users to specifically disable scripted events that alter the status bar, so the effect is not reliable.

Stardog
Mar 17th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I think it's disabled in Firefox by default.

koyama
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Also note that some browsers, such as Firefox and Opera, also allow their users to specifically disable scripted events that alter the status bar, so the effect is not reliable.
I checked, and even IE7 offers the option to specifically disallow scripts from updating the status bar. In fact, this is the default setting for the Internet zone.
IE6 doesn't seem to offer such an option (unless scripting is disabled as a whole)

I think it's disabled in Firefox by default.
Seems to be the case as of Firefox version 2. This version introduced new default security settings.