PDA

View Full Version : Firefox--Desperately need help

mysterybks
Mar 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM
On www.sleuthedit.com/test2.html which is table based with css for formatting, everything looks good on IE6, but on Firefox, the Title "Mystery Lovers Corner" which goes beside the girl laying down reading and above the 2 line menu is MISSING. HELP!!! So is the stack of books that goes to the far left in the body of the page.

I still can't www.sleuthedit.com/test.html to format correctly at all on Firefox. I've validated it and it passes. On IE6 it looks good.

Thanks for your help.

Dawn

Excavator
Mar 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Goodmorning Dawn,
Where in the world does this keep coming from? -
* {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
} What editor keeps adding that?

You seem to be having a lot of trouble with this. We keep going over this but it never gets better. Have you considered hiring this out?
I'll try to point out a few things you can fix.
In your html you have
<div class="sideimg2" style="margin-top: 0; float: left; width: 133px; height: 121px">
That inline styling is over-riding the styling your applying in your CSS, the image itself is 98x120px, I think you want it on a line by itself (?) so you should not be floating it.
========
It looks like you want the whole site wrapped in #container but your floats aren't cleared. (http://www.quirksmode.org/css/clearing.html) You also don't have #container in your CSS file.
========
Things are jogged around further down because your floats are not cleared in #main.
========
#main still contains a couple nameless unstyled divs. Your box model seems to be wrong since #container(already used this id once), #join and #contest won't sit right. The content is blowing out of #contest.

mysterybks
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I have no idea. I just did a search in Expression Web of ALL my pages and it doesn't exist. How and when do you see it?

karinne
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:13 PM
here ....in your css (http://www.sleuthedit.com/_borders/style2.css)

hmmm ... that's weird. When I click that link I gave you, I don't see it anymore. I only see when I get to you CSS via the webdev tool bar.

jlhaslip
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I think it is called a "BOM" marker or something. I've run into them before, usually when I swap files to/from a Mac. It happens so rarely or sporadically that I really haven't nailed down the cause and I can't recall how to get rid of them, either, LOL, but knowing the name might help.

Excavator
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I have no idea. I just did a search in Expression Web of ALL my pages and it doesn't exist. How and when do you see it?

When I look at your CSS using FireFox's WebDevelopers Toolbar. It's no big deal if it's not there on your end, I just delete the odd characters and the * works.

I edited my previous post a little. Please don't think I'm being rude, I don't mean to sound that way at all. There are just a lot of things that need fixed there.

mysterybks
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Don't worry. I'm WAY new to CSS. I don't really get why Firefox shows it one way and IE6 another. They're so different. I can't get the Title or the graphic along the left to show on Firefox in either the Table view (www.sleuthedit.com/test.htlm) or the CSS view (www.sleuthedit.com/test2.html).

I would appreciate ANY and ALL help. Once I understand it, you won't be bothered by me any more. I've done what I know and have read. I don't know why it isn't working.

What post did you edit?

Dawn

mysterybks
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:30 PM
And how do you get to the Web Dev Tool in Firefox?

Ignore. I just found and installed it. Thanks.

Excavator
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:40 PM
What post did you edit?

Dawn

Scroll up. It's my first response in this topic.

mysterybks
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:51 PM
sideimg2 is NOT supposed to be on a line by itself. <h1 class="h1">Mystery Lovers Corner</h1> is supposed to be beside it. I can't get Firefox to see it at all.

mysterybks
Mar 16th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Well, with your help, I got the title to show, and I just got the menu below it! Thanks!

Still have more to go, but with your help, I'm understanding more and more.
Dawn

mysterybks
Mar 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM
It works! www.sleuthedit.com/test.html is a CSS document. With your help, I got it to look good in FIrefox!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your directions.

I will begin working on recreating the other pages of my site, but now I have some real knowledge of CSS to help me with the other pages. I've learned so much this week! You are FABULOUS!

Dawn

Excavator
Mar 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM
That's awesom Dawn!
Looks good in IE7 and FF2 and the markup validates - good job!

Validator shows a couple things in your CSS still, that * is showing up again.

Xiong Chiamiov
Mar 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I don't really get why Firefox shows it one way and IE6 another. They're so different.
/sigh That's what all web devs wonder... We wish everyone would stick to standards.