PDA

View Full Version : Workaround for lack of MySpace IE Conditional Comments?

jpolo9
Mar 14th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Do I have to use the always annoying Underscore hack and Star HTML Selector Bug to code my MySpace layout now that the omniscient overlords of myspace decided to get rid of IE conditional comments? Are their other hacks that i should know about to make this easier?

I would love to post my code and ask for some help but i don't want to impose. If anyone wants to take a stab at it, www.myspace.com/dolcevitads looks perfect in IE7 but is completely hosed in FF. It looks basically the same in IE6 but i can't do anything about the background issue unless i redesign it specifically for IE6...oie.

I think myspace is slowly killing me...

_Aerospace_Eng_
Mar 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM
The answer is yes. I recommed the star html selector bug hack because it will work in IE6 and IE7 mainly because myspace has no doctype.

harbingerOTV
Mar 15th, 2007, 03:09 AM
just a side question. When did they eliminate the conditional comments? I use them in mine and just checked on FF IE6 and IE7 and all's good.

jpolo9
Mar 19th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I think they eliminated the conditional comments in February. Sooo annoying. It replaces the conditional comments with some garbage that does nothing.

Myspace is soo annoying to design. I might just switch all profiles i design to be in flash and use the div overlays. Does anyone know of any places to talk about acutal myspace coding? Any forums dedicated to it? Google returns only useless crap of course.

Thanks Aerospace_Eng!! Have you designed any myspace profiles?

_Aerospace_Eng_
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I think they eliminated the conditional comments in February. Sooo annoying. It replaces the conditional comments with some garbage that does nothing.

Myspace is soo annoying to design. I might just switch all profiles i design to be in flash and use the div overlays. Does anyone know of any places to talk about acutal myspace coding? Any forums dedicated to it? Google returns only useless crap of course.

Thanks Aerospace_Eng!! Have you designed any myspace profiles?
I did try myspace for a short period of time. You can check out my page if you like. I used some CSS tricks to hide some stuff.
http://www.myspace.com/prod2006

www.mygen.co.uk is a good site for myspace.

You might find this site interesting.
http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2006/04/hacking-myspace-layouts

jpolo9
Mar 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Ahh sweet that looks like a forum that actually discusses layout design the way it should be... well at least with what you have with myspace being what it is.

your page is cool, how come you stopped using it?

The mike industries page is the only other place i have ever found anything about myspace design. I think last december i managed to read all 800 or so comments lol.

jpolo9
Mar 21st, 2007, 05:07 PM
Well i got the page looking good in IE7 and FF. Not sure what to do about IE6 background problem.

Is there a bug that would let me design IE6 differently than IE7? Both the underscore hack and star hack show up the same for IE6 and IE7 on myspace with no doctype...

Or if i could have my div overlay background act like the body background that would be optimal.

Any ideas?