PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent text selection on doubleclick?

kynn
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure if this question belongs to the JavaScript area, or to CSS, or to (D/X)HTML... Please let me know what you think.

Suppose we have this HTML:

<span class="pseudobutton">some text</span>
along with the following CSS:

span.pseudobutton { cursor: pointer; }

If one now views the results of this markup in Firefox, and doubleclicks on the text inside the span, some of this text will be selected. My question is: how can I disable this select-text-on-doubleclick behavior?

I know it is possible to do this, because Gmail does it all over the place (e.g. the "buttons" labeled "All", "None", etc., after the word Select: in the inbox).

TIA!

kj

chump2877
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM
<style type="text/css">
span.pseudobutton { cursor: pointer; }
</style>

<span class="pseudobutton" id="pseudobutton">some text</span>

<script type="text/javascript">

spanObj = document.getElementById('pseudobutton');
spanObj.onselectstart = function()
{
return false;
};
spanObj.onmousedown = function()
{
return false;
};

</script>

kynn
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks, chump2877! That one worked like a charm.

I did discover something interesting in this process. It's only useful for Mozilla-based browsers, but it may come in handy in other situations. One can achieve the desired effect on such browsers by setting the non-standard CSS parameter -moz-user-select to none. E.g.

span.pseudobutton {
cursor: pointer;
-moz-user-select: none;
}

In this case, your solution is far more general so this trick is not particularly useful, but looking into this -moz-user-select business I learned that Mozilla-based browsers control a whole bunch of GUI features via similar non-standard CSS parameters, listed here:

http://www.xulplanet.com/references/elemref/ref_StyleProperties.html

Oh, well. FWIW. It may come in handy some day...

BTW, I'm sure this is nothing new to the veteran programmers around here, but it may be useful to the greener ones among us. :)

Thanks again!

kj