PDA

View Full Version : plugins and messages

Tails
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:25 PM
I use a program called ZDSPC that can play some really cool music files that are only 65 kb each (they are from snes games). But the program has little popularity. I want to be able to check if a user on my site has the plugin installed and let it play. Can JS read from a users browser and windows MIME?
And for the users that don't have the plugin, I want a message that comes up telling them where to get it.
BUT
I don't want a nagging site message for those who don't want the plugin. I want to make a dialogue box similar to that of IE autocomplete that has a "don't show me this again" check box. Can all this be done?

chrismiceli
Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:38 PM
i don't know of any, not to say there isn't, but if you do this
top.location.href = "about:plugins"
you can see the installed plugins, hope that helps somewhat.

Tails
Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:57 PM
It's a start. With this I can view and get values from the MIME with IF statements, right? I have a testing page for this, but no one has bothered to look. It's at http://XFox_Prower.tripod.com/other/spc/

chrismiceli
Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:45 PM
sorry i can't test it out, use linux :D

Tails
Dec 4th, 2002, 08:01 PM
That about:plugins thing didn't work. It just changed the title of the page and what was in the address bar. Nothing else.

chrismiceli
Dec 4th, 2002, 11:14 PM
here is what i get when i run about plugins.
http://www.geocities.com/rockanthology/images/plugins.jpg
copy that url into the address bar, the link is messing w/ geocities for some odd reason.

Tails
Dec 5th, 2002, 12:08 AM
Wow. That's a cool browser. I never saw it before. Who makes it? Is if free? I only have 2 browsers. IE 5.0 and Arachne 1.70 (for dos). I should put up a screenshot. Its table rendering graphics put IE to shame!

chrismiceli
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:50 AM
it is called galeon, it uses the mozilla rendoring engine.

Tails
Dec 10th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Where can I find this? I have trouble upgrading browsers. I don't have internet at home. Just offline page editing for me. And internet explorer has that stupid exe you download that has nothing but a link to their site to download some more. It's a pain. I like Winrar's disk spanning and I use it constantly.

chrismiceli
Dec 10th, 2002, 10:21 PM
that browser is for linux only.