PDA

View Full Version : Unresponsive Script browser message

Actinia
Feb 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM
My pages all have a common set of javascript functions referred to using a tag in my template.

I sporadically get a message when the page is being loaded. In Firefox the message is:

Unresponsive Script.
A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. [Stop Script] [Continue]

The message in IE6 and IE7 is similar.

However, this message does not always appear. The same page may or may not get it on different occasions. One page may get it in Firefox but not IE, or vice versa. Using the Javascript Console reveals nothing. I cannot access it untill I have chosen to stop the script.

The message occurs more often when viewing the page in our VLE (WebCT Vista), but occasionally occurs when viewing the file locally.

How can I find out what the problem script is? Only when I know this can I try and resolve it.

John Rostron

djohnson19
May 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
I sporadically get a message when the page is being loaded. In Firefox the message is:

Unresponsive Script.
A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. [Stop Script] [Continue]

The message in IE6 and IE7 is similar.

However, this message does not always appear. The same page may or may not get it on different occasions. One page may get it in Firefox but not IE, or vice versa. Using the Javascript Console reveals nothing. I cannot access it untill I have chosen to stop the script.

The message occurs more often when viewing the page in our VLE (WebCT Vista), but occasionally occurs when viewing the file locally.

How can I find out what the problem script is? Only when I know this can I try and resolve it.

bdl
May 3rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Hmm. Did you just copy the previous post from February 2007 rather than ask a new question? Do you have the exact same problem? Please, please forgo dredging up old unanswered threads and adding to them. Make a new thread, and take some time and put some thought into it.

To answer the question; sometimes JS scripts have unintentional infinite loops, sometimes they have a ton of DOM handling code, and sometimes it's just a mishmash of inelegant, inefficient, ham-handed badness. To which group does your script belong?

Actinia
Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
As an update to my original post. The problem occurred with a Virtual Learning Environment (then WebCT, now Vista). None of the VLE support staff had come across the problem. I found that at some point, the problem went away, so I would guess that it was some peculiar interaction with the VLE scripting software, and was fixed with a software update.

John