PDA

View Full Version : Pop up windows and email newsletters

gslywchuk
Nov 28th, 2002, 09:53 PM
I created a pop-up window. The link, of course, appears on the web page. It works fine if you click from the site. However, I created the page to be sent as an e-mail newsletter. The link to the pop-up window does not work for the newsletter residing in someone's mailbox.
Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks

whammy
Nov 29th, 2002, 03:41 AM
It's a bad idea to use javascript in an email message. Most likely, your script is being prevented from executing by the email client.

Since javascript has been used to execute malicious code in email clients (usually outlook or outlook express since microsoft is known for its security holes, and they are the most commonly used email clients), some clients will not allow scripts to be executed - and some antivirus programs that tie in with a user's email program will just block the email altogether, if I remember right.

Not to mention, there are some email clients that just don't understand HTML (let alone javascript!), although I'm not familiar with them all...

Bottom line: Send an HTML message if you know your clients can read it (with no scripting!); otherwise send a plain text message. :)