PDA

View Full Version : IE6 zigzag on load?

insanedesio
Nov 27th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Hello all,

I'm working on a site, it's valid XHTML 1.1 and CSS. The problem I'm having is IE6 (of course, what else!) - as far as I can tell, it doesn't show up in IE7. Basically, when a page is loaded, you see this very quick diagonal flash before the page itself loads. This isn't the infamous Flash of Unstyled Content, and I've tried searching the net (for hours!) as to what the problem might be. I'm at a total loss as to how to explain it. I've tested it in a few computers with IE6 and they all display this problem.

I don't want to take up loads of room here with the code, just go to:
http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~nemslab

The CSS can be found at http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~nemslab/stylesheet.css

Any of the files on that site will work (use the nav from the site to access the other ones) but for a quick check the code of index.htm will give you an idea of what the code for each page looks like.

I've had this problem with all new sites I make, including my personal site at www.stoptheqtip.ca, which is NOT valid XHTML 1.1 for the moment.

I'd appreciate any help with this, and sorry if I'm asking something that's been posted before, but I've tried the web for hours on end, and plus I'm not sure what the best way is to describe "zigzag on load" to a search engine.

Thanks!

_Aerospace_Eng_
Nov 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM
For the other site do you use @import on your stylesheet as well? I this might be the issue here.

insanedesio
Nov 27th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Yes, I do, but as I recall the problem was there when I was *only* using <link>. I added @import later on, after someone had pointed out the problem to me; that person suggested it may be the FOUC, and most solutions for it had both a <link> and an @import, so I threw the @import in there to try and fix the problem, and it didn't fix it :(.

However, just in case, I removed the @import on www.ece.ualberta.ca/~nemslab/index.htm

Could someone with IE6 check it out and see if that zigzag is still there? For reference you can check any of the other pages that you can get through from the links on index.htm - it's a really fast zigzag as the page loads so you'll have to keep a sharp eye out for it.

_Aerospace_Eng_
Nov 27th, 2006, 10:33 PM
It seems fine to me, it just looks like the page is loading. I don't think its really that big of a problem. I wouldn't waste your time on it. Visitors really aren't going to care because they know the page is loading. Just worry about how it looks once its done loading and you'll be fine.

insanedesio
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I agree completely - the site itself is done, but the guy I'm talking to (works for the prof I'm making the site for) keeps bringing it up, so I need to fix it. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother, I don't think it's a big deal at all. Of course, if we can't isolate the problem I'm sure the prof won't care, but still...

On the other hand, I am also curious as to what's causing it, so I've got more reason to want to know what's causing it than just "the guy wants me to."

The flash is very quick, but this diagonal kind of moves across the page. It probably takes less than like 200ms.

_Aerospace_Eng_
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:27 PM
It seems that it might be the random image js you are using.

insanedesio
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Wish it were that simple. www.stoptheqtip.ca displays the same zigzag but there is no random image js.