PDA

View Full Version : tricks to avoid spam with forms

JAP43
Nov 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I have made number of forms. I use formmail.cgi to handle the forms. And i have added number of javascript validations to the forms. What else should i do to make it more difficult to spammers?

ps. i dont know if the formmail.cgi gives more security i just tolld what i have done with my forms. Also if someone has experience about these js validations and know sites that has easy to understand examples(but more difficult than a if sentence which checks if the field is empty or not), please post.

bazz
Nov 24th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Shouldn;t this be in the javascript forum??

Anyway, not speaking as an expert, I would suggest that therer are a number of ways to prevent spamming of your form. One is where beside one of the taxt boxes, is a distorted image of a number, which the user must type in. If they don't the form can't submit. I think that;s best done with a server side language because JS can be switched.

another might be to make the form perform a middle step, such as a preview your message. Because this requires a double step, spam bots won't be able to do that (I think).

dAEk
Nov 24th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I suppose hidden fields (named "email", "name", "comments" perhaps?) would work to some extent. If any of these hidden fields are filled out you know a bot sent the information (human users should not be able to see the fields).

I don't really know how clever the bots are nowadays but I don't think they understand Javascript or CSS, do they?

AJW06
Nov 24th, 2006, 06:54 PM
i have a ver good javascript code that un scrambles your e-mail after it was muddled up and send you the e-mail it is a link not na form

if you want the code e-mal me [email protected]

JAP43
Nov 26th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I suppose hidden fields (named "email", "name", "comments" perhaps?) would work to some extent. If any of these hidden fields are filled out you know a bot sent the information (human users should not be able to see the fields).

I don't really know how clever the bots are nowadays but I don't think they understand Javascript or CSS, do they?

already have couple of hidden fields cause those was in examples from which i used to make my forms. well now i know why they are put in the code :p thx:D

felgall
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Preventing spam involves testing what is passed in the form to the server side script. You set things up server side to expect certain values in certain fields and reject those that don't match. A real person should be provided with instructions on what to enter into the fields in such a way that the spambots don't know what to put there. Just about all of it needs to be done server side. The spambots will ignore any Javascript on the page.

harbingerOTV
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:49 PM
http://green-beast.com/blog/?page_id=71

Mike ahs some cool stuff going on there. Try that out somewhere and see if it does it for you.

finstah1
Nov 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM
do a google search on CAPTCHA. I had the same spam issues and this fixed everything.