PDA

View Full Version : what on earth

timgolding
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
What on earth is this code?

<!--webbot bot="Navigation" S-Type="sequence" S-Orientation="vertical" S-Rendering="graphics" S-Theme="water" B-Include-Home="TRUE" B-Include-Up="FALSE" U-Page="sid:1001" -->

Why does Front page put these codes in? Are they valid? Is there any advantages/ disadvantages to them? Why doesn'y Front Page use standard html ?

ahallicks
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Through personal experience, because Front Page is pants for building web sites with. I've never seen any advantage with it over even Notepad because of the very reason it puts it's own code in amongst your well styled and correct code. Dreamweaver does the same if you use any view but the coders view as moving things around in the design view lets Dreamweaver take over.

But I don't have much experience with Front Page and to me that bit of code looks like it refers to search engines in some way!? That or it automatically incorporates some advertising in it's pages?

ronaldb66
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
I don't know for sure, but it looks like typical FrontPage, proprietary, standards-allergic garbage. Something to do with navigation, so it seems; probably needs FP extensions, too. However, since it's in a comment it won't hurt or make the page invalid.

A look at the actual page online would help, though.

timgolding
Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
I don't know for sure, but it looks like typical FrontPage, proprietary, standards-allergic garbage. Something to do with navigation, so it seems; probably needs FP extensions, too. However, since it's in a comment it won't hurt or make the page invalid.

A look at the actual page online would help, though.

My IT adminstrator has just installed Frontpage on our learning zone and now I have the wonderful job of teaching it. The admin has even disbaled Internet Explorer on all the machines so its interesting that the navigation still works on Firefox. I thought these front page extensions required a server with Front Page.

I'm trying to think of ways of teaching my students not to use front page. If I can get them to use SciTE insatead of Front Page by the end of the course then I have achieved one objective at least. Can you think of any other reasons not to use Front Page and how can I provide evidence/examples of it.

ahallicks
Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:05 AM
I'd personally go with Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php), which is a free programme that is basically an advanced version of Notepad with colours and the ability to show/hide sections of code, as well as lots of other plugins. It's much like the coding view in Dreamweaver, but it's free! :)

Reasons not to use Front Page.... hmmm.... because it's crap? Seems a good enough reason for me. Don't like the layout of the window. Don't like the way it interprets/creates code. Don't like the fact it's Microsoft and therefore has something to do with IE ;)

timgolding
Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
I agree I will have to have a look at notepad++. I personally use SciTE, problem is teaching noobies how to code is quite troublesome the idea was to show them some high level point and click design and then give them the option to continue to our Intro to HTML course. But yes I agree Front Page is a silly bit of software. Unfortunatly my boss has ordered nine copies of it and now i have to use it as 5 hours of my course :( ITS A NIGHTMARE

I just tried to use one of their ready made templates and their answer to dividing the page up into sections is to use Iframes :confused: