PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver Layers - Cross Browser

volcomports
Nov 21st, 2006, 08:07 PM
Hello,

Im currently using dreamweaver to produce a site but im having a cross browser problem with layers. My layers appear fine in IE6+ but are offset in Firebox.

I will be using a good few layers for my site, any way around this problem? I have looked into browser detection and redirection depending on browser type but this would mean i had to create a different site per browser right?

Help much appriciated

Thanks

VIPStephan
Nov 21st, 2006, 11:57 PM
If by "layers" you mean absolutely positioned divs then my advice is: don't use this method. This only makes cross browser compatible website creation harder... as we can see with your problem.
Well, I think it would be inappropriate to tell you you should learn HTML and CSS (although it's true). What I can recommend you for instant usage is to use a standards compliant browser (like Firefox, Opera, Safari, Konqueror...) as primary browser for testing before you test the page(s) in IE because that one ist the one that screws everything up, not Firefox (or the other ones mentioned above). So get it working in the "good" browsers and then fix the issues IE is having - if nothing else works then with conditional comments (http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html). However, all this requires a little coding so you should really learn at least the basics.

If you need further help you won't get around posting your code or a link to your site. Otherwise we can't really help you.