PDA

View Full Version : Problem with browser interpretation

jauzi
Nov 19th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Hi!

I made a page on "http://www.pozejdon.co.nr"

It is in slovene so just click on "Vstopite v svet Pozejdona" and you are in.

Now there are some issues:
1)when in mozzilla I get a scroll bar at the upper table that I don't want. Also the table has greater height that in IE and it does not fit into space that I gave it and so doesn't fit
2)In IE when you hover over "vzdrzevanje" it makes the table hop (I don't know exactly how to describe what happens)
3) If you click on "OWD" for example there is a title "Začetni OWD", that hase wrong background. Does anybody know how to make letters like I have in this title and without any backgroud? Is it possible for a jpg picture to have transparent backgroud?

Plus - is there any better solution for my layout. I mean especially the fact that I made logo, the waves and all lines into a background picture.

Well that is for now. If anybody can at least a little bit help I will be very gratefull.

Have fun, Joze M.

Arbitrator
Nov 19th, 2006, 09:13 AM
1)when in mozzilla I get a scroll bar at the upper table that I don't want. Also the table has greater height that in IE and it does not fit into space that I gave it and so doesn't fitThis is because some of the lines are wrapping. This is one reason not to use frames: size constraints and a non-dynamic nature. If you want pixel perfection, then donít leave the font size to the userís personal settings or browser defaults; try defining an absolute font size. If you wish to be more specific than that, set the dimensions for each table cell and use table-layout: fixed, which I believe will prevent the table from ignoring your dimensions should the content exceed them.

2)In IE when you hover over "vzdrzevanje" it makes the table hop (I don't know exactly how to describe what happens)This looks to be another of Internet Explorerís quirky behaviors. Iím not sure what the source of the problem is in this case, but my guess would be that itís related to that border-on-hover. Try giving the item a one pixel-wide transparent border by default so that it doesnít move due to a size change when hovered. You would do this by using the transparent keyword for the border-color properties.

3) If you click on "OWD" for example there is a title "Začetni OWD", that hase wrong background. Does anybody know how to make letters like I have in this title and without any backgroud? Is it possible for a jpg picture to have transparent backgroud?Standard JPEG images are not capable of transparency. For the best visual effect, you would use PNG alpha transparency. If you wish to support Internet Explorer 6, youíll have to make use of one of Microsoftís DirectX filters for the transparency to work. Internet Explorer 7 and other major browsers support PNG‐24 images.

Plus - is there any better solution for my layout. I mean especially the fact that I made logo, the waves and all lines into a background picture.Making a presentational logo appear as a background image is fine. That your layout depends on the size of the background image and not the other way around isnít good though, but thatís not much of an issue with frames since they constrain your layout. If you get rid of the frames and use a dynamic background, you can reduce the number of scroll-bars on the page from four to one, however.

It is in slovene so just click on "Vstopite v svet Pozejdona" and you are in.I saved this for last since it wasnít one of the issues you brought up, but you can get rid of all those character entities that youíre using and type the characters directly if you encode the page correctly instead of using the American and West European encoding of ISO 8859‐1. UTF‐8 works universally or you can use one of the encodings specific to the Slovene language.