Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: [job] LAMP lead dev, Austin, TX
10-03-2012, 07:31 PM #1
- Join Date
- Oct 2012
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[job] LAMP lead dev, Austin, TX
WhatsBusy is a big data start-up that applies machine learning and advanced heuristics to answer the question what’s busy? We aggregate, sort and make intelligent insights from streams of unstructured data. The forecasts we generate power consumers, businesses and industries. Imagine being able to look at your phone and know exactly how busy any business will be right now, in 2 hours, or in two weeks. Welcome to the future.
The Lead Developer at WhatsBusy needs to own the development process and guide it to successful completion of critical milestones. The developer will work in conjunction with the other co-founders to develop strategies and functionalities for the platform that best generate utility and a positive user experience. You must be confident in your abilities as the majority of projects will be autonomous. We have an awesome and unique opportunity to legitimately make the world better, and every WhatsBusy employee must believe this! Experience with big data and highly scalable architecture (LAMP) SaaS are beneficial to a developer’s success, but perhaps more important is drive, creativity, and intellectual curiosity.
The lead developer must have executive caliber communication skills and will be expected to participate in select business development partnerships and financing opportunities. The candidate should understand 80/20 and have a visceral aversion to performing the same task twice. Good business acumen and active strategy formation are necessary.
• Working with in-house or outsourced development teams to build and iterate products. Building in-house development team over time
• Communicating with business and technical teams and able to rapidly switch between the two types of communication
• Understand and believe in the value of WhatsBusy and not afraid to tell your Mom about it
• Familiarity with the concept of competing on analytics; “it’s not what you expect but what you inspect”
• Capable of creating and instilling processes to track project progress, issue tracking, issue resolution, manage risk and change management
• Strong technical experience in design & implementation of modern web applications: Ajax, JSON, jQuery, PHP, CSS 3, MySQL
• Prior experience in geo-data/mapping APIs (i.e. Google Latitude) required
• Web security & performance optimization experience a plus
• Advanced degree in Computer Science from reputable program with top performance
• Experience modeling and building complex and large data management systems (big data)
• Strong understanding of relational database architecture concepts
• Strong hands-on experience administering commercial large-enterprise databases: installation/upgrade, database/SQL performance tuning, SQL and PL/SQL development, Data Modeling/Design. MySQL, MS SQL, NoSQL Mongo/Hadoop experience.
• Knowledge of one of the following: Unix/Linux shell scripting, Perl, Python, C/C++, Java
• Proficient working with UNIX/Linux platforms with concrete knowledge of system administration/internals
• Experience building commercial quality software solutions at significant scale with the most advanced tools
• Experience with or proven interest in non-traditional data management and analytics solutions, for example column-store databases, document-oriented databases, distributed file systems, or data virtualization systems.
• Deep object oriented design skills, capable of mentoring and grooming both junior and senior developers
• Strong process skills in SDLC strategies including any variants of Agile/Lean/TDD and full design through QA management experience: A/B and split testing
• Experience with big data, statistics, algorithms and highly scalable web architectures
• A penchant for exploring new technologies, hands-on abilities and passion for technology and problem solving
• Skills in each layer of LAMP stack including hands-on Linux command line skills
• Startup attitude and experience. Willing to challenge assumptions and know when to pivot
• Have watched or read Moneyball and believe in the power of numbers!
• Insatiable hunger for learning
Compensation / Benefits
• Competitive compensation (cash/equity)
• Knowing that you’re really making a difference and working for a real business: not some passing trend
If you are interested please contact WhatsBusy at (415) 797-4210 and e-mail your resume to info[@]whatsbusy[.]com