Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts

    Sliding-Door Buttons

    I just redid my lower navigation buttons and am looking for opinions. I switched from multiple individual images using JavaScript mouseover to swap them, and made them into a single image using CSS sprite sliding-door action to produce a similar result. What do you think of them? The site is at:

    http://spruce.flint.umich.edu/~jalarie/

  • #2
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jalarie View Post
    I just redid my lower navigation buttons and am looking for opinions. I switched from multiple individual images using JavaScript mouseover to swap them, and made them into a single image using CSS sprite sliding-door action to produce a similar result. What do you think of them? The site is at:

    http://spruce.flint.umich.edu/~jalarie/
    The site is good. But I have to say.. it's so 1999... might want to integrate some photoshop skills in there. but coding itself looks good!

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Thank you for checking out the buttons; I was worried that they may not work properly on some machine / OS / options situations.

    What Photoshop stuff would you find interesting?

  • #4
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jalarie View Post
    Thank you for checking out the buttons; I was worried that they may not work properly on some machine / OS / options situations.
    works fine on debian linux/firefox 3.5.16,

    What Photoshop stuff would you find interesting?
    i was curious to ask what's wrong with being so 1999 but i give up,

    best regards

  • #5
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oesxyl View Post
    i was curious to ask what's wrong with being so 1999 but i give up, :) best regards
    I worked for 35 years and am now retired; you guess my age. Of course my views are a bit aged! But, I'm open to suggestions of what I should update. As noted in my original posting in this thread, I switched from JavaScript mouseover to sliding-door buttons. What do you feel that I should do next?

  • #6
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jalarie View Post
    I worked for 35 years and am now retired; you guess my age. Of course my views are a bit aged! But, I'm open to suggestions of what I should update. As noted in my original posting in this thread, I switched from JavaScript mouseover to sliding-door buttons. What do you feel that I should do next?
    i would remove the empty button, the one with class SLD2-Null.
    I have no idea what to suggest. In my opinion content is top important then navigation and both are very good on your site.
    The presentation parts using one style of another is part of the look and therefor everything is fine if is original and consistent like in your case.
    In my opinion there is nothing bad in '60 style or modern and also is nothing bad in combining elements from different styles, the condition is to do what i want and and to like how it look.

    i have the habit to bookmark what i like, ideas or how is something implemented, and also to records ideas which cross my mind.
    later when i have time, i experiment what i think that is interesting and if i feel that is somenthing wrong i just drop it and go to the next bookmark/idea.

    by the way, age is what you feel and not realy a time interval, both 'old' and 'so 1999' sound like having some bad connotations,

    best regards

  • #7
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Thank you for your compliments.

    Quote Originally Posted by oesxyl View Post
    i would remove the empty button, the one with class SLD2-Null.
    best regards
    The empty button actually has a purpose and I had to work hard to get it the way I wanted it. It is used as a place-holder for "back" when there is no previous page and for "next" when there is no logical next page in the current chain. With the place-holder in there, the third and later buttons are always exactly the same.

  • #8
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jalarie View Post
    Thank you for your compliments.
    you are welcome,

    The empty button actually has a purpose and I had to work hard to get it the way I wanted it. It is used as a place-holder for "back" when there is no previous page and for "next" when there is no logical next page in the current chain. With the place-holder in there, the third and later buttons are always exactly the same.
    this explain why is there,
    only on the inner pages both exists, on the first page, back is missing, same thing about next of a 'final' page. In this cases I would hide it or i would not put a place-holder. How to do this depend of how is implemented, on the server side or client side.

    best regards

  • #9
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oesxyl View Post
    How to do this depend of how is implemented, on the server side or client side. best regards
    When I left my IT job, I managed to retain my site storage space but lost every kind of active stuff on the server. I can't use any CGI, PHP, SSI, nor .htaccess. They think I might use such access to break into their system. They'd be a lot better off if they let me do what I'd like to do and refrain from causing trouble. I'm good enough at programming and their security is so badly done that I could walk all over it if I really wanted to do so. Oh, well. They have to do what they think is best.

  • #10
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jalarie View Post
    When I left my IT job, I managed to retain my site storage space but lost every kind of active stuff on the server. I can't use any CGI, PHP, SSI, nor .htaccess. They think I might use such access to break into their system. They'd be a lot better off if they let me do what I'd like to do and refrain from causing trouble. I'm good enough at programming and their security is so badly done that I could walk all over it if I really wanted to do so. Oh, well. They have to do what they think is best.
    buy you can use javascript? you can add a style="display: none;" to the button based on the page url, window.location probably.

    best regards

  • #11
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oesxyl View Post
    buy you can use javascript? you can add a style="display: none;" to the button based on the page url, window.location probably.

    best regards
    I can trivially take it out if I wished to do so. It's there because that is what I wanted. If I checked with a doctor, s/he would probably find that I have a case of OCD nearly as strong as the detective Monk character. I like, want, NEED consistancy. And I really like my OCD! lol

  • #12
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jalarie View Post
    I can trivially take it out if I wished to do so. It's there because that is what I wanted. If I checked with a doctor, s/he would probably find that I have a case of OCD nearly as strong as the detective Monk character. I like, want, NEED consistancy. And I really like my OCD! lol
    my apologise, i didn't realised that you want to keep it and i push you with my suggestions,

    best regards

  • #13
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oesxyl View Post
    my apologise, i didn't realised that you want to keep it and i push you with my suggestions, :)

    best regards
    There's no reason to apologise. I asked for opinions and you gave yours and help besides. It's not your fault that I'm crazy. lol


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •