Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 2 of 2
08-22-2009, 01:56 PM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2009
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please review my site Airport Taxi
Please review my site Airport Taxi , what do you think of the design
My Webpage www.noibaitaxi.com
Please review my site and let me know if you spotted any potential problems. Any help is appreciated.
08-22-2009, 05:02 PM #2
- Join Date
- Jan 2006
- Halle (Saale), Germany
- Thanked 974 Times in 947 Posts
Well, well… There is definitely a lot to improve.
At first get rid of all animated GIFs. This is totally amateur and only confuses people as it draw the attention away from the actual content which defeats the purpose of the whole site. If you have animations on a website make them very unobtrusive (i. e. very slow) so people may notice it but it doesn’t disturb you. Also only use such special effects when you clearly want to put the focus on that certain section.
A basic rule of thumb on how attention is drawn:
- If you have a blue background and two light blue squares on it with one square having a drop shadow that one square will stand out more than the one without drop shadow. Effects can raise the attention on areas that normally don’t stand out too much. Bu if all shapes have drop shadows nothing is a special attention raiser anymore. “Less is more” is the motto.
- On a flat colored background a small spot with a different color immediately draws the eyes of the visitor to that spot. Ergo, complementary colors (e. g. blue and yellow) are attracting attention more than analogous colors (e. g. dark blue and light blue). This is the second level of raising attention. Use this wisely and don’t overuse it! Keep things simple and only put highlights sparsely if you really want to put a focus on something. Also refer to http://istockphoto.com/article_view.php?ID=191
- A shape with different color and a gradient and/or drop shadow attracts even more attention than a flat area of different color. This is kind of the third level.
- A motion/animation draws the attention even more than the two other points I just made (i. e. that’s the fourth level in raising attention). You can have as much static distraction as you want (i. e. a complete mess of colorful shapes and areas), if you put an animation this is where people look first. So, here we go again: If you have lots of animations on your site nothing is a special highlight anymore and people rather get confused and will turn away than longing to browse for more.
So, always follow these steps:
- Keep it simple.
- Use unobtrusive effects (e. g. drop shadows/gradients) to make things stand out.
- Use complementary colors to make things stand out even more, if you really have something special you want to put a focus on.
- You almost never need this but if you put animations on the site, make them short and/or unobtrusive, not annoyingly repetitive. A single flash of a button does raise the attention just like a perpetually flashing button. But the former one won’t annoy the hell out of people as the latter one does.
Next: The photos of the cars look really squeezed and the one with the white/green taxi has a really bad quality. Get some high quality photos if you want a high quality site.
Then the background of the navigation looks almost identical to the page background. This makes is kind of look “wrong”, like there’s something missing. I’d suggest giving it the same background as the right sidebar.
Why are there different fonts in the navigation items in the green bar at the top? Use one basic font face throughout the site and only use a different font for headlines or the menu – but use it consistently for each purpose you are using it.
I’m missing some company logo (or at least a company/site name) in the header. If one comes to this page accidentally one doesn’t even know right on the spot what this site is about. And all these flashy animations aren’t helping either.
I guess you have never heard of semantic HTML? Please read up on this and then read why tables for layout is stupid. Your HTML is not acceptable and has at least 112 errors in it. Please fix this.
And now I just hope I haven’t wasted my time on a person that just wanted to put a link to his site online to promote his business, and doesn’t care about honest critique at all.
Users who have thanked VIPStephan for this post: