I think the first thing to do is identify your target market. Are they old or young, male or female, computer savvy or computer illiterate, etc...
Once you do that, it will be much easier to come up with a marketing plan.
Having said that, some of the basics include:
1) Develop a linking strategy with similar sites. Exchange links if you must, but the best links are one-way links to your site onle.
2) Find out where your target market hangs out online, and post in forums and blogs that cover those targets. Not spam though, make them meaningful posts about relevant information. You probably shouldn't even post your web site until you've got 100 or 150 posts in the forum
3) Google Business Services - Get the business listed in the google directory
4) dmoz, dmoz, dmoz! Go to dmoz.org and submit your url (once and only once though). Many MANY directories are powered from dmoz.
5) Google Ad Words (if you have money to spend)
6) Don't foget to add your web site in EVERYTHING you print, email, etc. Add it to your signature, business card, letter head, mailings, etc.
Like I said those are some of the basics and should get you pretty far. Most take time to cultivate though. Don't expect this to happen overnight.
Hope this helps.