I'm using Firefox 18.104.22.168 with a Mac G4 iBook, running System X.4.8. The British pound and euro symbols are not being rendered correctly.
I have tried various fonts, I have tinkered with the character encoding (its set to Western currently), I've adjusted the language preferences all different ways, and still the pound is rendered as an "i" with an acute accent over it, and the euro is rendered as a "u" with an acute accent.
I know this is not a system wide problem, as both Safari and Opera translate the character codes of € and £ correctly. But no matter what I do to the options and prefs of Firefox, I cant get it to correctly render them.
In my user group many folk use Firefox 22.214.171.124 with various Macs running System x.4 and nobody but me reports this problem. What on earth have I overlooked to set correctly?
The pound and Euro print as í and ú respectively.
The yen prints correctly, but the Trademark prints as something else.
The section sign doesnt print the section sign but sum prints Sum.
Copyright prints okay. and ú prints the same as the Euro.
These are only a sample of Firefox mis-behaviour. I didnt go through the entire list of characters.
Yes, I am using the correct entities, and I already tried putting my problem up on the Firefox (Mozilla) help forum and got no joy.
I have tinkered with every possible preference I can think of with Firefox and nothing makes any difference whatsoever.
I think the next step is to delete ALL the preferences, options and other associated files that go with Firefox and see if Firefox recreates these in such a way that I can see the symbols like everyone else can see them with Firefox. Can somebody tell me what files I need to delete? Thanks!
The pound and euro are used extensively on this page, and are rendered by i and u with acute accents when I view the page with Firefox 126.96.36.199 Macintosh.
The page is rendered correctly on my machine by any number of other browsers, including Safari and Opera.
I have just deleted Firefox and all its associated library files completely off my machine and re-installed it from a fresh download. And still the problem persists. And nobody seems to have any idea why since other Mac users also using System X.4 with Firefox dont seem to have the problem.
The symbols show fine on IE7 and FF2 on my Vista box.
The validator does not like your encoding:
A fatal error occurred when attempting to transcode the character encoding of the document. Either we do not support this character encoding ("x-mac-roman") yet, or you have specified a non-existent character encoding (often a misspelling).
The error was: x-mac-roman undefined; replace by macintosh
If you believe the character encoding to be valid you can submit a request for that character encoding (see the feedback page for details) and we will look into supporting it in the future.
IANA maintains the list of official names for character sets and the WDG has some information to help you correctly specify the character encoding.
What happens when you change character encoding? Make the first few lines look like this:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
Location: Splendora, Texas, United States of America
Thanked 187 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by jockm
Maybe in UTF-8 the euro needs to be written completely differently from € Anybody know?
You can type those and virtually every other character directly into a document without the need for character entity references while using UTF‐8. Switching to UTF‐8 entails doing more than just altering the value of a meta element attribute value, however; you need to actually open the file in an editor and save it as a UTF‐8–encoded file. The meta element attribute’s value should then be changed to match the encoding that the document was saved under.
The current encoding that you’re using is indicated to be x-mac-roman. The “x-” indicates that it’s proprietary and the “mac” indicates that it’s proprietary to the Macintosh operating system. I would encode your documents using an encoding that isn’t proprietary to a single OS. It wouldn’t be surprising for a browser that doesn’t recognize a given encoding to incorrectly map characters.
Please for the love of god stop making IE. You current "browser"s cause me to cry every day. —Phil *