I found that match() works with partial strings as well,but never mind; navigator.userAgent is completely unreliable as a tool to detect a webphone.
There are about 147 different webphone browsers (count each and every version), and at least 2438 unique make/models of them.
In discovering that,i gave up that approach and made it simple as all heck; I use navigator.userAgent to see if a standard browser is being used like any IE or mozilla and treat all else (esp Safari and Opera; i include Chrome as well) as WebPhone.
PHP is out,and e-mail cannot be used because a given browser and/or OS may not support it; besides one must be registered with a provider for that (as well as for NGs).
So i do the KISS and sleep well.
Thanks everyone for the comments and support!