Internet Explorer 9.......... Sorted!
Okay the display problems in iE9 relate to the need for a doc declaration.
Originally I had been using:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
I then removed it because I was using new html5 declarations.
Apparently, FFox & Chrome can manage without a doc declaration.
Research informed me that iE8 & above require it.
So I chose the new HTML5 declaration, which is incredibly simple, and is supposedly backwards compatible (I read).
I also learned that I must clear the web browser cache every time I run a test.
I discovered this, when FFox didn't like my // method to disable certain style declarations.
I deleted them completely, yet FFox console still found them, even after closing the tab and starting again.
Actually, I have found FFox console to pick up far more errors than Chrome console.
It reminded me I must declare the character encoding (which I did).
With trepidation I loaded the sys in iE9, and YES!
It displayed seemingly perfectly.
AhHa......... so maybe, with good coding, the 3 main religions can be catered for in a single document.
What a relief (you can imagine).
I've gotta test it a bit more but so far so good.