I removed the class from the links that turned them via css into rollover images. Now they're just text links, like this:
<a href="processor.php?c=cars&p=2&s=d&u=i&link=5&pid=999999990" title="Click to LIKE this photo" class="like">like</a>
(I also removed the "link.append" and the "fadeOut".)
Now my problem is that, although the ajax function successfully replaces the link address, it doesn't replace the link's class, or its title.
The receiving processor.php script takes the variables from the link's query string in the links as above, and returns a new replacement link address in this form (example of a "like" link being replaced with an "unlike link"):
The "u" variable in the query string determines whether or not the processor.php page will insert
the data into the database in the case of a "like" (u=i), or delete
the data from the database in the case of an "unlike" (u=d).