Joomla VS Wordpress - for a newbie
I am in the process of building a website. I have minimal coding knowledge and am looking to use Joomla or Wordpress to build a website with the following functionality (note some of the items in the list look a bit unimportant but for example the first two items, having spent a day each on Joomla and Wordpress) don't look a straightforward as one would expect:
1. Have multiple navigation bars (e.g on main one below the header and one right at the top with FAQ, Help etc..)
2. Navigation trees with 3-4 levels of sub menus (i though this would be easy but look like a nightmare in Wordpress)
3. allow users to post on various categories within the site
4. allow other users to vote ("like") posts
5. Order the pots according to the number of "likes"
Which of the two would be easier for a non-technical guy to attempt. I get that some areas (especially 4 and 5) will need coding, but I at least want to be able to get 1,2 and 3 (or at least the functionality for 3) to get set up quite quickly.
I'd go for Wordpress without hesitation. It's easier to understand for users, and there are multiple plugins available that will let you do quite complex things without programming knowledge. I'm less familiar with Joomla but it's a generally less intuitive user interface IMO.
I think the twentyeleven (default) theme comes with just a single menu set up but a swift Google will let you set up as many as you want, and they're easy enough to configure. Pretty sure the default css goes down to three level menus at least as well. That covers 1 and 2 in your list.
3 is out of the box behaviour.
4 is easy with a plugin, 5 is more complex I think, unless there's a plugin that'll do that as well.
|All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:27 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.