I'm currently just about to start developing a game engine for multiplayer text based games and wanted to ask if anyone had some good tips as to how to go about this. I could probably make one myself at the minute, however it would be a messy and inefficient system. Preferably I would like the game to be completely based around plugins to make it easier for people to make games. Plus I would like it to be easy to edit and add new plugins.
To help describe the structure of the game engine I hope to create I'll just list some of its details:
- must be object oriented
- must have the ability to use unlimited plugins (ie normal game features would be plugins, background processes such as levelling up would be plugins etc)
- must provide an easy method of loading new plugins or removing plugins.
- preferably works using ajax (though not necessary)
- plugins should have a standard structure (probably classes inheriting from a class called plugin or something)
- the structure should be able to be used repeatedly for any game
- possibly provide a set of standard functions that plugins may need
If anyone has any good tips on how to do this I would very much appreciate it