Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Login script fails in IE New Tab

    Hi,

    I have a simple page where users need to enter their username and password. For some reason, the login script fails (i.e, redirects users to enter the login details again) if they open the page in a new tab of an already opened IE browser. However, when they open an entirely new page, it works fine. I have no idea how to debug this.

    I would appreciate any help in this direction.

    Thanks a lot in advance.

  • #2
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reds View Post
    Hi,

    I have a simple page where users need to enter their username and password. For some reason, the login script fails (i.e, redirects users to enter the login details again) if they open the page in a new tab of an already opened IE browser. However, when they open an entirely new page, it works fine. I have no idea how to debug this.

    I would appreciate any help in this direction.

    Thanks a lot in advance.
    add this to the begining and watch the server logs:
    Code:
    use strict;
    use warnings 'all';
    use CGI::Carp qw( fatalsToBrowser  warningsToBrowser);
    another way is to run the script from command line with arguments you need. See perldoc or man page for cgi module.

    post if you have problems.

    best regards

  • Users who have thanked oesxyl for this post:

    reds (03-16-2011)

  • #3
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you very much oesxyl for the prompt reply. I ran the login code with perl interpreter from the command line and, as suspected it was doing exactly what it was supposed to do, i.e., return true when there is a match. Also, I am using strict and passing -w, which should in theory give warnings; however, nothing of the kind is happening. Strangely, after having opened a new browser, and a few more tabs a little earlier today, it worked; though I cannot guarantee that will always. Could this be an IE8 bug, as it works like a charm on Chrome, Firefox and Opera.

    Kindest regards.

  • #4
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reds View Post
    Thank you very much oesxyl for the prompt reply. I ran the login code with perl interpreter from the command line and, as suspected it was doing exactly what it was supposed to do, i.e., return true when there is a match. Also, I am using strict and passing -w, which should in theory give warnings; however, nothing of the kind is happening. Strangely, after having opened a new browser, and a few more tabs a little earlier today, it worked; though I cannot guarantee that will always. Could this be an IE8 bug, as it works like a charm on Chrome, Firefox and Opera.

    Kindest regards.
    could be a cache problem or something else. Until you can't reproduce the problem is very difficult to fix, i can say a nightmair. The best thing you can do is to use carp module methods, croak, carp or whatever you need to put message in the log, watch the log on a regular basis and fix problems as they come.
    being a little paranoic with testing each details in a script is usualy a good thing,

    best regards


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •