Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Arrow Help With ColdFusion - Getting Started?

    Hi everyone, I just nstalled ColdFusion MX onto my computer but I have no idea how to get started in order to test my pages. For example, where do I save my CFM files and what link do I use in a browser to view these files? I know this is very dumb but any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a total newbie.

    Thanks!!

  • #2
    Senior Coder JamieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,161
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    What do you exactly mean? I've never used Coldfusion, My Macromedia use ends at dreamweaver and homesite! Anyhow, I would think that you open your cfm files from any folder with your default browser as Coldfusion would be running on your system, but as I say, I have no experience with it myself.

    HTH
    Jamie.

  • #3
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Arrow Hmm...

    Quote Originally Posted by weazel
    What do you exactly mean? I've never used Coldfusion, My Macromedia use ends at dreamweaver and homesite! Anyhow, I would think that you open your cfm files from any folder with your default browser as Coldfusion would be running on your system, but as I say, I have no experience with it myself.

    HTH
    Jamie.
    Nah, there would be a location such as 'localhost' or something but I can't figure it all out. It's not very intuitive with this side of things. Thanks for your help though.

    Anyone else got any ideas?

  • #4
    Senior Coder JamieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,161
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Wouldnt it be something like http://localhost/cfdocs/mywork - mywork being C:\cfdocs\mywork ?

    btw: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

    Jamie.

  • #5
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    The only way I've used ColdConFusion is installing onto IIS. It's just like PHP, you install it and then your pretty much set to go. Setup a website in IIS and just put your files there and view them through your browser.
    OracleGuy

  • #6
    Senior Coder JamieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,161
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I would have thought that you could run it straight from your browser like you would do with PHP...but how different are PHP and Coldfusion in terms of running locally?.....

  • #7
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,879
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 65 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weazel
    I would have thought that you could run it straight from your browser like you would do with PHP...but how different are PHP and Coldfusion in terms of running locally?.....
    Well, both PHP and ColdFusion are server-side programs. The browser interprets the results of a program processed at the server-side. So, if you're running locally you'd need a server of some sort (Apache on OSX anyone? ) to parse the programs for you. And to do that you'd need to install the program on the server.

    I should add CF won't work on my Apache/OSX bit, but PHP would. I believe CF is Windows only....

  • #8
    Senior Coder JamieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,161
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmedek
    Well, both PHP and ColdFusion are server-side programs. The browser interprets the results of a program processed at the server-side. So, if you're running locally you'd need a server of some sort (Apache on OSX anyone? ) to parse the programs for you. And to do that you'd need to install the program on the server.

    I should add CF won't work on my Apache/OSX bit, but PHP would. I believe CF is Windows only....
    There is a Mac version of Coldfusion. I would think that you would be able to run the Coldfusion files locally with no problem as CF should already be running when you launch your browser (or I would have thought).

    I have Apache on My Mac, but I've never used it so none the wiser in that department.

    Jamie.

  • #9
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Arrow Hmm...

    I have a server, it's coldfusions own in built one. But my problem still remains, I don't know WHERE to save my files AND HOW I view them. Please help.

  • #10
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In front of this computer. (Where else?)
    Posts
    442
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Doesn't Cold Fusion come with a help file or something? I remember nobody taught me how to use IIS. I learnt everything by going through the iis help...
    Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life... What have you done today?
    Tutorials
    Web: w3schools, htmldog General tips: Hardware, Networking

  • #11
    Senior Coder JamieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,161
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I have never liked the thought of cold fusion, I just stick to PHP

  • #12
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cold fusion and PHP should be similar to use, both are server side

    have a look in the CFusionMX directory you installed, there should be a wwwroot directory, this should be where you put your cold fusion files. You should then be able to access them by going to http://localhost/filename.cfm

    I'm only guessing here as I've only ever used cold fusion through IIS, apache or PWS


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •