Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Java applet can be loaded from some servers, not others

    I'm designing a webpage with frames. Each of the frames contains Javascript and/or Java. When I view the entire page (i.e. frames and all) directly on my compter (typing C:\...\index.htm directly into my web browser--I'm using IE6), it works. However, once I save it onto Windows XP's built in server (and loading the site on http://localhost/.../), one (of two) Java applets stops working, and all I see is the grey box with a red 'X' in the top left-hand corner. The two applets are in different frames. Even when I try to view only the page with that applet, it still does not work.

    Interestingly, I tried uploading the page on one webserver and it still didn't work. However, when I uploaded the page onto yahoo's geocities, it works fine. I'm guessing there's some problem with permission or security or something, but as for what it is, or what to do about it, I've not a clue. I especially can't understand why one applet works and the other doesn't...

    To take a look, you can check out

    'http://www.geocities.com/djf1942/accueil.htm'

    this is the page where the applet works

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Senior Coder A1ien51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Between DC and Baltimore In a Cave
    Posts
    2,717
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 94 Times in 88 Posts
    One thing you might do is Check the access rights on the folders that the information is kept.
    Tech Author [Ajax In Action, JavaScript: Visual Blueprint]

  • #3
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    fixed the problem

    fixed the problem.

    I changed the name of the folder containing the folder which had the HTML document and the JAVA file. The original name had had an exclamation point in it; once I took that out, the JAVA bit worked. I still don't understand why every other part of the webpage, including parts written in JAVA, JavaScript and HTML, had no problem with the '!'. I didn't do anything to the JAVA app or the HTML file in which it was housed. Regardless, it's fine now...


    Thanks.


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •